1748213 Members
2982 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cl1850 clustering Active Active how to

robert fowler_1
Advisor

cl1850 clustering Active Active how to

I am installing windows 2003 AS on a CL1850 system. I have installed the OS on both systems, and added the Array configuration utility. I have also gone into the BIOS and changed all the SCSI IDs for one system to 6 and 7 for the other.

When i boot one system it can access the shared space, but as soon as I start the second system it hangs.

The question is what is the correct way to install and configure an Active Active cluster, so that both systems can share space on the Array.

I have installed the OS on Node 1 and on node 2 on the onboard hard disk drives. Note sure if this is correct either

thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: cl1850 clustering Active Active how to

In order to correctly configure a Windows Cluster to be active/active, you need to have at the very minimum, 3 logical drives shared. 1 for the Qurorum, one for the data for Node 1 and the 3rd for node 2's data.

Your OS should be on the local disks in the 1850's. The disks in the CL enclosure are your "Shared Storage" disks.

I would configure node 1 first with node 2 off... create your storage, make sure it is accessible, formated and has a drive letter.

Shut down node 1 and configure node 2. Make sure you can access the existing configured shared storage. Make sure the drive letters are the same.

Run the cluster wizard and you should be on your way.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I am having the same exact problem with CL380 (basically the same device as the CL1850). I have gone through the same steps as Robert.

However, I am trying just a Active/Passive type cluster, so I only need one cluster drive and one (not two) data drives.

Anybody have any idea how to fix Roberts and my problem with Windows 2003 Enterprise?

Thanks
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Oops - I mean 1 quorum drive (not cluster drive as I had stated).

Nelson
robert fowler_1
Advisor

OK to add to the information above,

(a) I configured the 1850 systems with one physical disk, I couldn't find the driver to configue this on the HP site and smart start 7.10 (the only one I had) didnt work with this system. Is this a problem and if so whats the procedure to change to a logical disk and were is the driver for the array to add to the f10 compaq/hp setup???

(b) Were is the array wizard am i missing something, what I have done is gone into array config utility and added logical drives. I have two 18GB disk drives and 3 9GB hard disk drives in the disk array. I crated two logical drives. One for the two 18GB disks and one for the 3 9GB disks.

thanks again

robert fowler_1
Advisor

to add again,,,,,

I read that I need to have a crossover cable between two integrated NICs, I take it I can use a standard crossover and IP addresses like

Node 1 --> 10.1.1.1 /24
Node 2 --> 10.1.1.2 /24

why is this needed ????
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Robert:

A. You can later migrate your local RAID0 disk into a RAID1 set. When you have the drive, in ACU, you can do the migration.

You would need Smart Start 5.5 I think to fully set the 1850 up with a F10 partition.

B. Ok, you created 2 arrays. Array A is 2 18GB drives with 1 RAID1 Logical Drive? and Array B is 9 9GB drives with 1 RAID5 Logical Drive? If you, you will need to split up one of the arrays into 2 logical drives as you need a minimum of 3 for an active/active cluster.

What may I ask, are you going to be running on thses servers?

C. You need to set up a heartbeat connecting between the 2 nodes so that they can talk to each other privately. Technically, you do not need a crossover with a Windows 2000/2003 cluster, but to config with best practice, you would install the cossover and use any 2 private IP addresses.10.1.1.x/24 is good enough

Some things you want to do with the crossover connection... Disable WINS and Netbios of TCP/IP. The cluster does not use it. All it needs is a direct ip connection to each node. You also do not need DNS entries and a gateway. Just the address and the mask.

In 2000/2003, you can use the public network as your cluster communications medium, but it is suggested that you use a private network... crossover cable for a 2 node cluster or seperate LAN/VLAN for 3+ nodes.

Steven

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

I fixed my problem - maybe this will fix yours too:

The Compaq SCSI Ultra-2 drivers that are loaded were provided by Micrsoft (not HP). Apparently the 7.10 Support Pack does not include this driver and so both server nodes in the CL380 were using MS drivers and not HP drivers.

These Ultra-2 interfaces are what connect to the shared disk - so I knew they were the key to fixing the problem.

I downloaded the HP driver and replaced the Microsoft version with the HP version. Viola - it fixed the problem!!!!

To get the lastest file that I used for Windows 2003, use:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17320.html

Not sure if this is the same for CL1850, but I believe they are (the DL380 G1 is basically the same as the CL1850 - just a new name (the guts might be a little different).

As for the cross-over cable questions - yes you do need this. The two cards need to be able to talk to either other(for cluster communications) and a cross-over cable is what makes this work.

Nelson

Nelson
robert fowler_1
Advisor

Hi Guys,

I am not in the office again till Tuesday and will try all sugestions then, but will only have 1 hour before been assigned to a different project.... :-( and hate giving up on something

Basically one of the girls in the office needs to install Oracle Clustering, I was given some time over Christmas to get it going for her but ran into problems.
She needs a setup in which she has two systems that are capable of sharing a shared external disk space. She said she didnt need windows 2003 clustering installed as Oracle can do its own clustering. Oracle will be installed on Node A and B, the shared space will be the disk array.

What i did is build Node a and B with win 2003 AS which was installed on the local disk, not the array.
I then installed the cluster config utility on Node A, from here I created a mirror from the 18GB HDD and a stripe from the 3 X 18GB HDD in the array. I then went into Windows disk management and formated and assigned drive letters to the volumes D and E.

The next step was to turn off node 1 and configure node 2, here i changed the scsi ID # to 6 in the F10 utility and booted to windows. I then noticed that the D and E drives I created on Node one didnt exist, but the logical volumes in the array did. So I created a d and e drive same as on Node 1.

At this stage I thought I would be able to power on both nodes and access the shared space, but as soon as I try to turn both nodes on at the same time the second system to boot hangs at the windows 2003 boot screen.....

So the question is what steps are missing in order to create an Active Active setup in which both systems can be turned on together and share one of the volumes on the disk array. I will try the stuff above,

Also do I need to configure Windows 2003 clustering to get it working or can this be achieved without the windows stuff ?????

thanks again,,,

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If I remember corectly Robert, you can not access the storage from both nodes unless there is some type of clustering in place.

If you are going to use Oracle Clustering, then you porbably need to install oracle on the first node, get it up and running and then turn on node 2.

In a Windows Cluster, you would do as you did... node 1 first, format drives, assign drive letters then shut it down. Then config node 2, check drives, assign letters and go into the Cluster Administrator to build the cluster.

Once the cluster was built, you can then turn on node 1 and in the cluster admin utility add the new node to the cluster.

I am not too familiar with Oracle Clustering, but think the proces would be similar.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE