3530 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: compaq restarting after several minutes or even hours of usage

gabby aranda
Occasional Contributor

compaq restarting after several minutes or even hours of usage

good day.

what are the possible causes why compaq proliant ml 330 server always restart several minutes or even hours of usage? we were using windows nt 4.0 for its operating system. we haven't experienced it before but it is occuring nowadays. it usually reset after 8min, even 20min or even 2hrs of usage. weve tried to disconnect its scsi hard disk but it still restarts. we even tried to disconnect its scsi card and inserted another video or display card but it restart also.
pls, help me.

thank you so much.

4 REPLIES 4
Artem Mikhailov
Occasional Contributor

1. In most cases server leaves records in system logs or in internal log. System logs can be viewed by System Event Viewer, intenal log can be viewed by Compaq Integrated Management Log Viewer (if installed) or by BIOS utility. It is good point to start you investigation from.

2. There are two main causes of 90% problems I've ever experienced: it is bad memory (Memtest.exe) and bad current.

3. High temperature inside server room of server box could be the cause.
Sylvain_7

Hi,

Did you find any messages in the event log?
nothing related to a stop error?

New hardware installed recently or new driver, patches etc....?

You need to give us more details...
thx.
Sylvain
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

make sure to disable ASR if you ever want to get a good dump or atleast the bluescreen

I would also look at the compaq log if you have the agents installed. or comb through windows system event log.
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

Eric is right.
ASR, advanced server recovery halts or reboots the machine if sonething ugli happens (eg: hot cpu, problems that can compromise hw integrity)

Use the Proliant SUpport PAck to query for errors and search in these forums

Peace, R>