1753304 Members
6711 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: config files for HW and RAID controller

Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

config files for HW and RAID controller

How can I find out the names and config files for my HW and RAID controller on a BL20P?
Tnks.

6 REPLIES 6
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

"Names and config files"... "HW and RAID controller"??? I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

I assume you mean the configuration for the RAID controller chip. The name of your hardware is obviously Proliant BL20P, and the name of your RAID controller should be visible in the boot messages (SmartArray ).

The RAID configuration is not stored in any actual file: the configuration of each RAID set is stored in the physical disks belonging to that set. There might also be some non-volatile memory in the RAID controller to store another copy of the configuration data. This redundancy is useful in various hardware failure situations.

The configuration data area on the physical disks is "outside" any logical disks, so you cannot read it directly. The RAID controller won't allow you direct access to that data area: as far as the operating system is concerned, only the logical disks are visible and the RAID data area does not exist.

The only way to access RAID configuration data is to use the proper RAID configuration tools.
MK
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

MAtti,
Tnks.
I dont' know either what is meant by config files for hw and RAID controller.
I was asked this info to deploy a BL20P server image into a different HW.
I did grab the HP Insight Diagnostics htm document from the server.

Your info is of much help, though.

Tnks.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Edgar,

there is no "config file" for your hardware or raid-controller. The configuration of the raid-controller is written on each disk in an array, so you can easily import arrays on another Smart-Array controller.

You can grab the array-configuration with HP Rapid Deployment. There are jobs that do this job for you.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

In fact, we're using Rapid Deploymet.
Didn't know about that.

Tnks.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Edgar,

which verison of RDP did you use? Start the "Deployment Console" and take a look at the left side job pane. In Version 3 there are jobs to grab a BIOS and Smart-Array configuration.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

We're using Deployment Server Console 6.0

Tnks.