New Discussion юеВ

Re: configur ehot spare in RAID 6

SOLVED
Go to solution
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

configur ehot spare in RAID 6

Hello,
I have a proliant ML 570G4 server and I have 8 x 146 G SAS drives and smart array P400. Can I have RAID 6 for the 7 and one as hot space.
Can anyone please advise how. thanks
also is RAID 5 better or RAID 6 to run oracle db on windows 2003 server.
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,
RAID 6 with 7 HDD + 1 Hot Spare = POSSIBLE.
I would recommend RAID 6 if REDUNDANCY is your priority for your database server.

Regards,
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
I cannot see any option to keep one HDD as hot spare in the array config utility. I can see the option to select all HDD and then create array but cannot see an option to have one as hot spare.
Darmin

You would first have to create the array without using the drive that you intend to use as spare, than go back to ACU and add a hot spare.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Refer guides:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=468780

Regards,
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, I did as you mentioned, attached is the doc. so in case if a HDD fails, this spare one would be onlined automatically.

is it a good idea to have one spare drive for a db which will be about 1 T ?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

>so in case if a HDD fails, this spare one would be onlined automatically. >> YES.

>is it a good idea to have one spare drive for a db which will be about 1 T ? >> Its a Great Idea ! Even better if you can assign 2 HDDs. Since its a DB server I reckon Data will be very important. Unless this server is clustered Or u have other regular back up methods, 2 Online Spare should give a better peace of mind.

Regards,
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

James, thank you very much for your reply. I think due to storage space constraints, I cannot allocate more than 1 HDD as spare.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

:-) I would also recommend you to keep atleast ONE HDD in stock. Precaution is better than cure !!

Good Luck !

Regards,