1748038 Members
4824 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: configuring dual channel on Smart Array 6i on DL380G4

Lou Brock
Occasional Contributor

configuring dual channel on Smart Array 6i on DL380G4

I have a DL380G4 that has an onboard SCSI 6i controller. I would like to use it to control internal as well as external drives. It will only recognize internal drives and I don't know whether it is a single channel controller or dual channel that has not been configured. Will this controller support internal and external drives and if so how do I configure it to do so?
4 REPLIES 4
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

open SCSI model cabling
page 68
https://www.mc4helpdesk.com/html/techdocs/DL380G4ServerUserManual.pdf

also see External storage cabling
page 78
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The 6i is a dual channel controller.

It supports internal and external.

If you are currently configured for Dual Channel on your Drive cage, then that means slot 0 and 1 are on channel 1 and 2,3,4,5 are on channel 2.

If you are not, then all the slots in the front are on channel 1 and the external connector is channel 2.

To change to single channel drive cage, there is a terminator block on the hdd backplane that needs to be removed. It is on the back side of the hdd backplane and has a clear housing on a single connector. It sits directly behind drive bays 0/1 and 2/3 internally.

I remember there being a switch on some models, but I think that may have been the DL580G3.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Lou Brock
Occasional Contributor

I removed the plastic terminator, but the external drives are still not recognized when I run the ACU. In fact, the aray controller isn't recognized with a SCSI cable attached to the back of the server.
The SCSI configuration LED insdie the server is lit now for simplex.
Aaron Blosser
Advisor

We have a few DL380 G4's and I had to configure one the other day to hook up an external array.

It was pretty simple. Remove the terminator block as someone mentioned, and then you need to move the SCSI cable for the drive cage so that instead of plugging the "2nd port" half of the duplex cage into the motherboard, you plug that part into where the terminator block used to be.

That will wire up the entire internal drive cage to the primary SCSI channel, and now that those drives aren't connected to the secondary channel, the external port is available now.

Sounds like you removed the terminator block okay but didn't move the cable over, so it's still taking up the secondary channel (and now your primary channel would be unterminated which can get interesting) :)