1752613 Members
4523 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: connecting a pcie x16 coprocessor card

Sassy_Tamika
Occasional Contributor

connecting a pcie x16 coprocessor card

hi. is there some adapter or something i can buy to attach a pcie x16 card to my dl360 g5. i'm making a game server.

the card i want to attach is Intel BC31S1P Xeon Phi 31S1P Coprocessor : (pictue below)

Intel BC31S1P Xeon Phi 31S1P Coprocessor

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

The server in question has two x8 wide PCIe slots, of which expansion slot 1 functions at x4 speeds and slot 2 functions at x8 speeds. 

The x16 card that is mentioned here, if it were referring only to the connector width, then the card would not fit in. If it referred only to the speed, then the card would be forced to operate at x8 as the electrical lanes are only x8 available on the second slot and at x4 on the first slot. This woiuld result in degraded performance if the gaming application required a x16 speed PCIe connection. You may refer to section 'Standard Features > Expansion Slots' in the server's quickspecs.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Sassy_Tamika
Occasional Contributor

would there be room if i bbought a 90 degree angle card riser?

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I know this is an older post, from January, but I was recently looking at the Xeon Phi coproc boards.

They require 64-bit BAR support which isn't an option until the Proliant Gen8 servers.  If there's a way to enable that on G7 and below, I'm not aware of it.

So besides the PCI, size, cooling and power requirements, your G5 box probably wouldn't support this due to lack of the 64-bit addressing it needs.