1748022 Members
4761 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: consumer SSDs in ML 350 G6 with smart array p410i controller

dcm-ebb
Occasional Visitor

consumer SSDs in ML 350 G6 with smart array p410i controller

I am only using the HP ProLiant ML350 G6 servers with smart array p410i controllers in a development environment, but I would like to get the speed of enterprise SSD, without spending the $, as this is not going to ever have even a fraction of the workload of the production environment.

Forget that the solution is not optimal, are there any technical barriers prohibiting me from installing consumer grade SSD drives into the drive carriers and using them in the hot swap drive bays in the front of each server?

I accept that I will probably burn through the individual drives at a more rapid pace, but don't want to bother if there is no way to even get this functioning.

Any advice, suggestions, or documentation are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

2 REPLIES 2
dcm-ebb
Occasional Visitor

I am currently testing the setup with 3 SSDs in a RAID 5 configuration on a ProLiant ML350 G5 with the onboard controller and SFF 8 bay enclosure. The SSDs are not recognized as such, just as regular drives. I am not sure if I have all of the latest firmware for the server, controller, etc. but will update when I have more to report.

SystemPro
Occasional Advisor

Have tried some Seagate Enterprise Capacity v.3 SAS drives on P400 and 410 controllers an they just come up as bad drives with yellow light. Only 3rd part drives i have had sucess with yet were WD Red NAS 2.5" 1TB SATA drives, so i think maybe SATA SSDs should work.

Have latest firmware the on controllers, so it looks like HP blocks 3rd party SAS drives.