1748266 Members
3154 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cpu issue

davey666

cpu issue

Hello
I've just bought a new HP DL140 G3 fitted with a E5310 cpu. Along side this i bought a new E5420 cpu. Flashed to the latest bios on the server. Went to replace the 1.6ghz cpu with the new 2.5Ghz and recieved a "cpu not supported" even though it booted and showed E5420 2.5Ghz etc.

Have a made a very silly mistake?! does this server and chipset (5000x) not support the newer harpertown cpu's? Or am i missing something i cannot find in any text? - my experience is only with simple desktop systems.

thanks, dave
5 REPLIES 5
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

Hi!

The E5420 processor is not compabitible with the Proliant DL140 G3. Check the Quickspecs,
It only supports 50xx, 51xx, 53xx processors.
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

HP ProLiant DL140 Generation 3 (G3)

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12509_div/12509_div.html
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
davey666

I know i have checked anything i can find. But i couldn't find anywhere where it says specifically it can't. The info for the dl140 for all i know/knew may not be have been up to date to reflect newly released cpus. Specs for motherboards often state "this processor" suported, only finding that newer releases work. After all the specs are kinda same in system terms to the 65mn class 1333 cpus for it.
U may state the obvious, but the obvious isn't always correct in IT!! lol
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

>>i couldn't find anywhere where it says specifically it can't...

Since there are maybe 200 processor modells, HP decided to write what is supported, not what isn't. It is motre convinient to list 10 things , instead of 200 maybe...

About the quickspecs/specification updates -the quickspecs is updated regularly for non-retired servers - like this one.E.g. the latest change was made 2 weeks ago and a card was removed from the supported options.

About the Error 805 - Unsuported processor detected :

This is where the system ROM comes into play. For newer CPUs or newer steppings of the same processor, a microcode is written to the system ROM, so that the CPU can function properly in this server. The ROM stops at POST, not the chipset alone(HW).

Maybe a future release of the DL140 G3 system ROM will add suport for 54xx CPUs, but till then, even if you get it running you will receive different bugs.

You can check e.g. the Fixes section of this System ROM :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&swItem=MTX-e7fc633ec2544c40b741ab0f09&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

The dl380 g5 uses the intel 5000P chipset , which supports the 52xx and 54xx CPUs too, but sysrom need t supprot them too.

I understand your point of view, but I don't think there is something that can be done for a solution at the moment.

Hope this clears some things :)

Regards
davey666

cheer for the info. Is a real shame, as the 54xx was a nice price compared to 53xx for me. bought two second hand 1.86ghz 53xx chips and dropped em in instead, work fine. Another annoyance though.. 2 different heatsinks for this socket cpu (both correct)...didn't fit this server. Extended up too high over cpu! the hp one included doesn't seem "standard fitting"... bit of hands on DIY with a grinder fixed the mounting poles though for the intel heatsink.
If it supports 54xx in future, i doubt it will matter, i will have to sell this 54xx cpu on now and keep with my 53xx, as its off to a remote data centre.