1753797 Members
7164 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dead iLO on DL360 G6

Ron Bergeron
Occasional Contributor

dead iLO on DL360 G6

I bought a DL360 G6 recently. It was working normally for a couple of weeks. Then, after a normal reboot, there was a very long delay followed by an "unable to initialize iLO" message. This was before the OS started loading. After the long delay, the OS loaded. iLO was unavailable and the fans ran at full speed.

There was a bit of a fiasco trying to get the motherboard replaced (I won't go into detail). I ended up sending the whole server back and getting a replacement.

2 weeks later, the replacement started having the same exact problem. HP is sending someone out to replace the motherboard.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm wondering if there was a bad production run.
3 REPLIES 3
Wallace H Wyeth
Occasional Advisor

Did you ever get this resolved? I went through the exact process with 3 DL380 G6 servers.
Ron Bergeron
Occasional Contributor

That was a while ago, but as I recall the problem did not come back after replacing the motherboard. Since it happened to two machines, I assume they had a bad batch.
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Dead ILOs are a relatively frequent problem on HP servers. We had a couple of DL360 and DL380 with dead ILOs. They worked perfectly even after the ILO death... but without ILO.

It seems the only way is to replace the mainboard and hope that HP finds the cause of this problem.

Dead ILOs are also a problem on blade-p servers. There it was a firmware problem that cold be fixed by upgrading the ILO FW. But you had to do it as long as the ILO was working. If it went bad you needed a new board.
"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"