1752576 Members
4470 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: degraded logical drive set ML150

Andy Schultheis
Occasional Advisor

degraded logical drive set ML150

Logical drive is degraded: controller 1, logical drive 1 ("OS")
Logical drive is degraded: controller 1, logical drive 2 ("Application")

Partioned RAID 5 set appears to be causing the problem.

I can't tell what drive is bad. I assumed a light would flash on one of the drives, but they all appear to be green.

I am very new to this server, and have nothing on it. Is this hot swapable? Could I just buy 6 new drives, and swap them out one at a time until they're all new? Can I replace them while the machine is turned on?

Lots of questions I suppose, but it should be a fairly simple solution. I simply don't know which drive is causing the alarm to go off. Very annoying sound.
8 REPLIES 8
TTr
Honored Contributor

What G is the server and what OS is on it? Look for the array configuration utility (ACU), it gives you an interface to the array controller and you should be able to see what is wrong.
If ACU is not installed, http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/index.html
You can also access the array controller from the bios menu during boot up.

The drives may or may not be hot swappable, it depends on the server model and drive types.
Andy Schultheis
Occasional Advisor

It's an ML350 G2 with windows 2003 server. I installed the software but it said that it did not support the adapter. It's an Adaptec 2120S controller, with a 5 disk RAID 5 set. The two drives reporting an error are partitioned from the RAID set. HP Storage Manager is the only software, and all it says is the RAID set is degraded. All the lights are green on the drives. I have 6 drives in the machine, one being a spare. I am guessing it's a live hot spare, but I don't really have any documentation on the machine. I am hoping I can just buy 6 drives, and replace them one at a time. I am also hoping I can do this while the machine is running, and let it rebuild the RAID set as I go, until all new drives are in the machine. The drives are only about $50 each, so cost is not really a huge factor here. This is a print server leading to our imaging devices. We are a printer, and this is the primary rip server. It's vital to our operation, and if it goes down, we can't produce anything.
Andy Schultheis
Occasional Advisor

I guess there is something I don't understand fully either. There are 6 drives in the machine, with green lights on all of them. When I open the HP Storage Manager though, it only shows 5 drives. It reports drives 0, 1, 2, 3, and 5. The software itself is pretty limited. I have also been in the SCSI BIOS, but it says nothing about RAID sets. It's pretty much a standard adapter bios screen. So, I can't seem to do anything there. I've also been in the system BIOS, and nothing exciting there either. In short, I have no idea where to even set up a RAID set on this machine, let alone fix it. This is nothing like a Dell I bought about 2 years ago, which had a full RAID utility on it, showing each individual drive with a full set of tools. All I have is this HP Storage Manager utility, which isn't helping me in the least right now.
Andy Schultheis
Occasional Advisor

OOPS! I meant ML150 G2...
TTr
Honored Contributor

The ACU is for newer HP raid controllers, I did not expect this would be a G2.

Where do you get the "Logical drive degraded" messages?

The Adaptec 2120S is not mentioned in the server quickspecs so it is probably added as a third party adapter. (The U320 mentioned in the quickspecs is not a RAID controller)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12092_na/12092_na.HTML
So it is not clear what you are looking at when you are in the SCSI bios.

Is it possible that you have other controllers in the server that are not in use? Check in the windows hardware monitor.

See if you have or can download 2120S management software.
TTr
Honored Contributor

The quickspecs mention the HP PL100 SCSI raid controller as an option. This could be the Adaptec2120S relabeled as an HP product.
See if you can find out what was purchased and from where. Also try the HP storage manager again to see if you find anything else in there about the raid controller.

If indeed you verify that this is a true adaptec controller and not an HP relabeled one, you might want to give adaptec software a try http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/raid/aac/sm/asm_windows_2_12(922)_exe.htm
Andy Schultheis
Occasional Advisor

It is an Adaptec 2120S controller. I found my way into the RAID BIOS, and it appears drive 04 is bad (physical number in the chassis is 5). It also appears to be a 6 disk RAID set, not 5, but I'm not 100% certain on this. I am guessing this drive went down though, so I'm running on 5 drives instead of 6. I ordered 2 new drives, which will be in today, but not certain how to rebuild the new drive set. The BIOS only has 4 options, so it's fairly simple to navigate. Three of the options do not appear to be useful in a rebuild. I'm guessing the option to "initialize a drive" is where the rebuilding will take place. I've never done this before though, so I'm not sure what to expect once I go into the option. I haven't been in there yet. The Adaptec Manager you gave me the link to was already installed, but it was renamed as the HP Manager. I need to uninstall both now and reinstall the ap, because it did create a slight conflict. The manager actually gives very little assistance in determining which drive is bad unfortunately. This is where the error is shown, but it only tells me the set is degraded without telling which drive in the set went down. It does however, list all the good drives, so only 5 show up in the utility with no errors, and the 6th is not present with or without error. The RAID set is shown as drive 0, 1, 2, 3, 5. If another drives goes, it will be a complete system crash as near as I can tell.
Andy Schultheis
Occasional Advisor

Well, it appears I have it fixed. I popped the new drive in to see what would happen, and it started rebuilding on its own. Was definitely a bad drive, even though the Storage Manager didn't report a problem with an individual drive. I guess the drive was a complete failure to the point where the adapter could no longer see it at all. Probably blew the controller card on the drive itself.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.