ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752600 Members
4085 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: difference between raid 1+0 and raid 10?

SOLVED
Go to solution
DMmunich2012
Occasional Contributor

difference between raid 1+0 and raid 10?

hello,

is it true that there is a difference between raid 1+0 and raid 10 (e.g. on P411)?

I have heard that raid 1+0 does not stripe data like raid 10.

What is the difference if this is true?

4 REPLIES 4
ilkyest
Occasional Contributor

On everywhere I've read, 1+0 or 10 are the same. Minimal of 4 hds, 2//2 with stripe and mirror. Includind Wikipedia (LOL) that says the most recomendable to data centers, with speed and data warranty

waaronb
Respected Contributor
Solution

I think in basic terms HP calls their RAID 10 a mirror of stripes.

You might need to dig into the detailed specs of the controller to figure out how HP allocates drives.  I think it stripes the data for performance too, so it's not just one drive mirroring another and drives aren't just paired (in case both fail), it stripes data across all of the drives, and the mirrors are striped across them all as well.

You may be thinking of some simple models where one drive mirrors another.  In a small 4-drive RAID 1+0, A&B are mirrored, C&D are mirrored, and then A&C + B&D are striped in a RAID 0.  Easy enough.

In the more advanced model, data is striped across all 4 disks like A -> B -> C -> D and then the parity is striped B -> C -> D -> A, and so on.

I don't remember if it's as simple as that though... it might stripe it in a way to reduce the chance that 2 drives failing at once would cause a loss of data.

Once upon a time I knew more about how HP implements each RAID level (some of that was part of the old Compaq ASE material), but honestly I've had a hard time finding the details of how it's implemented.

DMmunich2012
Occasional Contributor

Thank You!!!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro