108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

disable onboard video for Proliant 1850R

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Barnes_3
Occasional Contributor

disable onboard video for Proliant 1850R

I have been given 2 Proliant 1850R servers, but without any documentation.

I would like to use a better video card (have an ATI Rage 128), but apparently I need to disable the onboard video controller.

Can someone please point me to the right direction for this?
6 REPLIES 6
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Re: disable onboard video for Proliant 1850R

Hi Chris,

All servers automatically bypass onboard video when a video expansion board is insatlled.

Disconnect the cable from teh onboard video and then reconnect it to the video jack on the expansion board.

For more details refer:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com:80/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00280248/c00280248.pdf

Hope this answers!!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Chris Barnes,

Please check the following document on disabling the onboard video and use other card.

Turn the SW1 - S1 - ON.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_327160-001_ch4/TPM_327160-001_ch4.pdf

:)
Chris Barnes_3
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it appeas that both of you are correct - ie, it should automatically switch over and that there is a switch setting to force it to.

But neither seems to have solved this problem - when I turn on the computer w/ the ATI Rage 128 in the expansion slot, I get a blank screen. I don't even see the POST messages (and judging by the lack of activity on the disks, it's not proceeding with the boot up process).

Next step?
Pete Simpson_1
Advisor

These very old machines seem to be VERY finicky about which video cards they will work with -- regardless of the dip switch setting. The one we found that WILL work is a "Compaq" model.

Look for a Compaq video card with Spares part number 296684-001. This is a S3 Virge/GX based card. I do not know the original Compaq part number, none of the cards I am looking at have it printed on the circuit board or sticker.

We were able to buy a box of 10 of these off of EBay. There was no guarantee they worked, but 9 of the 10 were functional.

Good Luck.
Chris Barnes_3
Occasional Contributor

Pete,

Since you have 9, I don't suppose you'd be willing to part with 2 of them? ;-)
Pete Simpson_1
Advisor

Wish I could, but I can't. I searched E-Bay and found that you can buy them from some E-Bay stores for about $5 or $10 a piece.

Just put that part number I gave you into E-Bay search.

Good Luck,

Pete