New Discussion юеВ

Re: dl360 g5 p400i SAS mirror "inconsistent stripe"

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

peeky

no if you want the errors go away use firmware 4.12

but they are not errors just false messages
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brandi Holcomb

Interesting, I was following the thread, too, and remember that there were plenty of replies recently. I'm not sure where they went.
Peeky1323
Occasional Advisor

Maybe HP removed them to make the problem look like it went away on it's own :-)

Thanks for the reply Karlo, will I run into problems if I just downgrade the firmware on it's own, or do I need to downgrade anything else too?

Thanks,

Peeky
Martin Gaudreau
Advisor

Indeed.... they removed a lot of replies, including mine....
Brandi Holcomb

Peeky, That was my suspicion, too.

For what it's worth, I don't get the errors with the firmware downgraded from 5.22 to 4.12. My Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service for Windows Server 2003/2008 is at 6.8.0.32, which I believe I was also asked to downgrade from 6.10.0.32 when I was working with HP, but since I did it at the same time as the firmware downgrade, it's not clear to me whether it's strictly necessary.

--Brandi
Martin Gaudreau
Advisor

You can just downgrade the firmware.... but personnaly, I'd rather stay with the current one and live with the false messages until a new f/w is available...

I kept my case open with hp and ask for mohtly updates...
Peeky1323
Occasional Advisor

Is there a concrete confirmaiton that the messages are just false positives? If so could someone point me to a way of proving it to my managers?

The servers I am rolling out are all so Mission Critical I have to be absolutly sure or else it's my neck on the line.
Martin Gaudreau
Advisor

Peeky, I totally understand... I am in the exact same situation with 8 servers.... See what I got from HP:

Hello Mr. Gaudreau
This email is in regards to case 360456XXXX, for your DL360 G5, showing Consistency Check Failed Status I called you today at 10:30 am EST, but unfortunately I wasn├в t able to reach you. I left you a voice mail with the next scheduled call back for tomorrow between 09:00 to 11:00 am EST. If you are not able to answer my call, please reply to the email letting me know which is the best time to call you back.
At this point the only information in regards to this issue is there is group working on that.
In order to avoid the false messages you can roll back to 4.12 firmware smart array p400i version.

This is a link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-d91b097ed6694e0ca051a48d89&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157687
Peeky1323
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys. I think I will leave the firmware at the current version as 4.12 is a liitle too old to make me like idea. If there isn't a new firmware in the next months I will go back to 4.12.

To prove there is no issue I will just go and pull one of the disks out of the mirroe and show that the server is still up and that the array will rebuild OK.
w2k3s
Frequent Advisor

I HAD the exact same problem with one of my MSA70 array. This issue was opened for 2 and a half months, and NOBODY at HP tech can FIGURE OUT what was going on. i worked with 4 different tech support, and none of them can figure that out. do not trus the ADU report, the offline diagnostic report from them. it's useless. trust me. they will tell you to downgrade and then upgrade and then re-install OS and all kinds of stuff that are USELESS!

they replaced the backplane, mid plane, power supply, raid controller, pretty much EVERYTHING, and it DID NOT SOLVE the problem.

I was so frustrated dealing with them i finally tried something my self and it worked! if you are using SATA drives, go to seagate.com, and download their seatools offline diagnostic software. i plug out all 25 drives and tested each of them in a local workstation. 1 turned out a bad drive. i call them to replace the culprit, and the error disappear for good!

if you are using SAS drive, that's kind of tricky. i don't know how you can connect a SAS drive to a local station. i'd be interested to know though because one of my SAS drive is showing this symptom as well.

hope this helps