Did you mean: 

dl380 G4 always reboot before OS loaded

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ivakin Dmitry
Frequent Advisor

dl380 G4 always reboot before OS loaded

Hello,

I have ProLiant DL380 G4. After installing OS patches and reboot, the server can't pass POST mode. It's restart every 10-30 sec., and of course OS can't be loaded (it means I have hardware failure).
I've opened server today, cleaned from the dust (not too much), remove/insert RAM modules and 6 HDD, but it's didn't help me to solve the problem. Monitor, which connected to server, always in stand-by mode, can't be switches to online. I can't see nothing, what's happened during self-checking.
How to diagnose the problems? Could you please help me?
4 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: dl380 G4 always reboot before OS loaded

> Monitor,...always in stand-by mode
Check your video cabling and try a different monitor if you have. If the problem is the same, it means that you don't have video on the server, probably the VGA is bad.

Check all the LED status lights on the motherboard. Look on pages 15-21 on the user guide.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00218203/c00218203.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
TTr
Honored Contributor

Ivakin Dmitry
Frequent Advisor

No, monitor is ok. At the moment of connecting, it's green, then goes to yellow. No signal from server..
thanks for LED info, I will check them..
Ivakin Dmitry
Frequent Advisor

Today I've tried following:
1) used only one pair of memory (disconnect other pair)
2) used only one CPU
3) I can't install PCI-Express card, because server's slot can support only PCI-X 64 bit (all of three are the same). I opened other server (dl380g5) and tried that PCI cage. My card fully compatible with two slots, but cage slot not compatible with dl380g4 motherboard PCI slot.
Do I really need to buy suitable PCI cage for this server? Any other solutions?