1751712 Members
5729 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dl380 bios access

bruce summers
Occasional Advisor

dl380 bios access

I have been looking everywhere for what I should be hitting to access the bios on a compaq proliant dl380 (no G series, older model)....I have attempted all of the following:

f9, del, esc, f5

Any help???

Bruce
8 REPLIES 8
Antonio Luiz de Oliveir
Frequent Advisor

Re: dl380 bios access

Hi, F9 should work, but you can try to download the SCU (system configuration utility) and boot the system from the diskettes that are generated.
you can get the soft. at the link below:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

Please don't forget to assign the points.

Junior
bruce summers
Occasional Advisor

Junior,

F9 is definately not working...read over the info concerning this utility...If i understand it correctly, it is merely an access method to the system BIOS????

Bruce
Antonio Luiz de Oliveir
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bruce.
Yes, this software is used to access the bios when you don't have the system partition installed. By the way, did you try F10?
bruce summers
Occasional Advisor

didnt try f10...I'll give it a shot and tell ya if it does...trying to chase down the developer for the box before i shut it down...I'll keep ya posted...

I see we can post points...how many points do we get initially to issue out to folks that assist???

Bruce
bruce summers
Occasional Advisor

Junior,

The config util doesnt appear to have what i need...maybe you can clear this up for me...

when i boot normally, the server goes through its normal boot process, it then prompts with a couple of options (f1 continue, f10 to enter config mode)...

however, i dont want it to hang at this prompt...if there is not a tech/user there to press the f1 button when the server boots, it merely sits there...

I know on the newer models of the HP machines, you can access bios settings to delay, turn off, stop etc at this prompt...

however on this model, i cant seem to even access the bios (trying f9, del, esc, etc...)

that is the end result i'm looking for, access to the bios, reset that setting so it doesnt STOP at the f1/f10 prompt...

f10 by the way takes me to the config util, but doesnt appear to have a method for accessing the bios...

maybe i'm just overlooking something, but i would think i could access the bios on this server without using a config util to do so???

thanks for the info

bruce

bruce summers
Occasional Advisor

I got it..thanks for the help...

I just needed to go a little further into the sys config util...

system configuration\modify&review\etc...when i got to the screen that has the config info, scrolled down and there is a setting to prompt f1 or disable the prompt.

Posting this in case anybody else is looking for the info...

was leary about pressing on through the config util thinking I may hose something...but it was rather painless...

thanks again

Bruce
Antonio Luiz de Oliveir
Frequent Advisor

Bruce, does your system show some error message when you boot it? The normal boot should not show the F1 prompt.
It should show the F10 prompt for some seconds to give you the chance to get in to the bios, and after this time boot the System without any user intervention.
Did you add/change some part before you see this message?

This servers keep the bios software on the hard disks (System Partition). It must be installed using SmartStart CD. If you don't have it, the only manner to get in is using the floppy disks I mentioned.

A hug

Junior
bruce summers
Occasional Advisor

Yes,

you are correct...i had to boot it to the floppy...i just wasnt going far enough into the config util to get to the part that I wanted to change...the system util partition apparently wasnt installed when this machine was built some 3 or 4 years ago...

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Bruce