4953 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dl380 g3 memory diag prob

SOLVED
Go to solution
jim strzyzewski

dl380 g3 memory diag prob

just got a dl380g3 with 6g of memory(pc2100 266mhz 1g per stick). when I first turned it on there was a yellow light on the MB indicating slot 1B was bad. I cleaned all contacts on all mem sticks and reseated the memory and the light went out. Have tried to run Smart diags and when running memory diags
always hangs at about 95% completed then the server reboots and it doesn't matter what mem sticks or how many I have installed.

Do I have a bad mobo? Any ideas would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Heya, only way to further troubleshoot it would be to only populate 1A and 2A and try to swap around the modules.. but if it keeps on going then yeah it looks like it might be the system board.

Are you using HP DIMMs? Do you know if they are genuine/supported with this server?

Try clearing NVRAM on the server, that helps sometimes :)

Bios updated?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

I allway reccomed not to clear the NVRAM, unless you really really must.

The reason is, that you loose the IML information. Wich can come in very handy.

Check the IML.
If the IML indicates HW failure - Fix it.
The mark the entry as repaired.

It's possible to enter maintenance notes in the IML.
ei. replaced DIM xx.

This way you will keep a history.

but agree. Try to swap MEM modules - keep track, then test.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

jim strzyzewski

all 6 are geniune HP PC-2100 1 gig sticks. Have tested all combos of sticks to isolate bad stick; all tests ran until about 95% then hung & system timed out & rebooted. No entries in IML. BIO is P29 dated 5/1/2004. All other diag tests ran fine.

Generally don't like to fix anything that's not broken, so haven't updated BIOS yet. Not comfy with reseting NVRAM either.

With nothing else to do I have loaded Redhat 8; went very smoothly & seems to be okay.

Think I'll put it in service and wait for it to fail, in the mean time I'll just keep backups current. Thx for the ideas.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

2 inputs.

What does the IML tell You?

Also
When you run the insight diagnostics.
Look in the survey.
If it got ei. Correctable thresshold exceeded. It will tell you strait away.
The system test will not find any problem in this case. (My experience).

Correctable thresshold exceeded. should be in the IML.
It shoul give a flasing red healt LED on front of the server. And when ever you reboot the server the error counter seem to be reset. and the error will come back when the threshold is exceeded again.

But it could also be, that all that was needed, was to reseat the DIMM, as you have done.

Anyway. I will strongly recommend to check the IML, and if there's an entry regarding memory problem. Consider replacing that DIMM, or at least mark it repaired.

The diag should be able to run for ever without stopping.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

jim strzyzewski

okay, so I got 8.0 Smartstart and then marked all "repaired" in the IML. Have now gotten all memory tests to run successfully. In process now of doing a second complete system test to make myself feel better when it passes.

Thx much for your help. Really like this server and look forward to getting some home security apps running on it besides using it as a personal web server.

Thx again.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You're welcome :)

Cheers
/jag

Accept or Kudo