5087 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dl380 g3

peter_367
Occasional Contributor

dl380 g3

Hi All,

Currently have the machine running on Red Hat Linux 7.2 with RAID 1 without any cdrom. This configuration was not carried out by myself.

I now have to install it to a win2k server, getting rid of the Linux OS. How do i do it?

1. Is it as easy as just popping the win2k server cd-rom, boot up , delete the existing partitions and then install win2k server.

2. I would like to have the server to run on RAID 1. How do i do that too? install the OS then configure the RAID using the RAID configuration utility? What about the smart start cd, what is it used for and when do i use it?

3. Well if all the above it true, how do i even get to boot it up as the server does not have a cd-rom attached?

Hope you guys can help, really would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance....

Pete

4 REPLIES 4
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The easiest way of installation would be to boot with the Smart Start CD,select Assisted installation and just follow the onscreen instructions.

DL380 G3 generally comes with a 24X CDROM Drive installed.Incase the Drive is not there and cannot be arranged the other options available are to use either PXE based installation or use ILO Virtual CDROM option to go for the installation.

peter_367
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sumesh,

Thanks for the reply.
If i were to hook up an external usb cd rom to the LINUX server, would it recognize the cd rom and bootup from cd?

Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter

1. Yes, it is easy to install win2k server. You need to delete the existing partitions

2. RAID should be configured before setting up OS. This can be done by RAID configuration utility. Smartstart CD helps to setup the server and install operating system

3. You must have CD-ROM installed before proceeding

Regards
Mahesh
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Hi Peter,

The Server does not list any optional USB CDROM drives under the quick specs and may not work.

The support for USB devices on Proliant is listed on the below link:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html#5