ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752478 Members
5654 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dl380 g5 black screen on boot (after cpu upgrade)

danieledp
Occasional Visitor

dl380 g5 black screen on boot (after cpu upgrade)

Good day everyone,

i would like to submit an issue I am facing these days regarding an hp proliant (dl380g5) bought on ebay long time ago.

It came with a couple of Xeon 5140 (Dual Core). Once I tried to upgrade them, and replaced with a couple of Xeon x5470, fans went full speed and nothing came up except a black screen.

If I try to put back the old CPUs, the server starts correctly.

MOBO version is: 436526-001 and, according to the documentation I gathered here and there, it should be able to handle those CPUs. I also tried to update MOBO's firmware with no success (I mean, I managed to upgrade firmware but it didnt change anything).

Do you have any idea of what could it be? I am using the same heatsinks that I used with the Xeon 5140 pair.

I appreciate all your efforts and time spent trying to solve this problem with me, guys

Have a nice day

Daniele

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: dl380 g5 black screen on boot (after cpu upgrade)

Hello,

Usually if the processor is not supported, the Server should give a error message saying "805 -Unsupported Processor Detected" at POST.

If the screen is blank, it could be that processor is faulty.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00821489

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

danieledp
Occasional Visitor

Hi Suman,

thank you for your answer.

Could it be that both the Xeon x5470 are faulty? I tried to put them individually but nothing came up. Is there a way, in your opinion, to point it out as clearly as possible? I would like not to buy a new pair that might not work as well (maybe because this one isn't faulty at all)

Daniele

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would recommend to clear NVRAM S6 (CMOS) on this server so that server goes into default settings.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00710359

Refer to page# 86

IMPORTANT: If replacing the system board or clearing NVRAM, you must re-enter the server serial number through RBSU

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Soliduskal

Hello, I know is years from when you posted your question but I'm currently in the same situation you were and was wondering if you ever got a solution. My server also starts up with no video signal and fans on full speed. I also installed the same x5470.
Thank you
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Soliduskal

Thank you for writing to us! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo