ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752661 Members
5807 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: dl380 g5 black screen on boot (after cpu upgrade)

danieledp
Occasional Visitor

dl380 g5 black screen on boot (after cpu upgrade)

Good day everyone,

i would like to submit an issue I am facing these days regarding an hp proliant (dl380g5) bought on ebay long time ago.

It came with a couple of Xeon 5140 (Dual Core). Once I tried to upgrade them, and replaced with a couple of Xeon x5470, fans went full speed and nothing came up except a black screen.

If I try to put back the old CPUs, the server starts correctly.

MOBO version is: 436526-001 and, according to the documentation I gathered here and there, it should be able to handle those CPUs. I also tried to update MOBO's firmware with no success (I mean, I managed to upgrade firmware but it didnt change anything).

Do you have any idea of what could it be? I am using the same heatsinks that I used with the Xeon 5140 pair.

I appreciate all your efforts and time spent trying to solve this problem with me, guys

Have a nice day

Daniele

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hello,

Usually if the processor is not supported, the Server should give a error message saying "805 -Unsupported Processor Detected" at POST.

If the screen is blank, it could be that processor is faulty.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00821489

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

danieledp
Occasional Visitor

Hi Suman,

thank you for your answer.

Could it be that both the Xeon x5470 are faulty? I tried to put them individually but nothing came up. Is there a way, in your opinion, to point it out as clearly as possible? I would like not to buy a new pair that might not work as well (maybe because this one isn't faulty at all)

Daniele

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would recommend to clear NVRAM S6 (CMOS) on this server so that server goes into default settings.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00710359

Refer to page# 86

IMPORTANT: If replacing the system board or clearing NVRAM, you must re-enter the server serial number through RBSU

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Soliduskal

Hello, I know is years from when you posted your question but I'm currently in the same situation you were and was wondering if you ever got a solution. My server also starts up with no video signal and fans on full speed. I also installed the same x5470.
Thank you
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Soliduskal

Thank you for writing to us! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo