Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dl380 raid 5 - substitute disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
gdorlando
Occasional Contributor

dl380 raid 5 - substitute disk

proliant dl380, win2003 sp1, 3 hd scsi u320 36.4GB hot swap with raid 5. Used as dc and exchange 5.5, got a secondary dc on my organization.
One of the hd is faulty, today i've receaved a substitute, can i simply take off the faulty hd and substitute with this new one "on the fly"? Or is better if i shut down the machine, substitute hd, boot and wait until raid renconstructs? Thanks for any suggestion
5 REPLIES
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: dl380 raid 5 - substitute disk

Hi,

There should not be a problem in swapping the disks online since it is a hot swappable/pluggable disk and it is in a RAID 5 configuration.
You can just remove the faulty hdd and plug in the the substitute hdd and then it would rebuild and wait till it finishes the rebuild.
There would be a low performance during the rebuild process.

Make sure you have the green LED on the hdd after the rebuild is completed.

All the Best!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
raadek
Honored Contributor

You can happily do that while the server is running - that's the purpose of hot-swap HDDs & RAID protection.

The only consideration is the performance hit you will get duiring the rebuliding process. I assume it is still better than a downtime.

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
gdorlando
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ramesh and Raadek, i consider my question solved, very quickly and very easily. Points 4 u.
Attila Szabó
Frequent Advisor

just a sort note (not 4 points;).
Better to do it online, not offline, because there is a little hided partition on every HDD, where the smart array controller store information about RAID configuration. The card read up the config from disks at boot sequence. So if you replace the drive offline, and there is any RAID information on the new drive (maybe its used in the factory for test, etc), you have a very little chance (but you have chance), to the RAID controller will read this info and said, there is missing parts of that RAID array also.
If you made the replace online, the controller will never read this info from new disks (cause as i say, it read it only at boot), so the controller will overwrite the replaced drive with the correct info and doesnt care about RAID info on that.
Good luck,
Attila
gdorlando
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for you all, appreciate the feedback. Done the substitution on line yesterday, all went up like a breeze.
Bye G.