New Discussion юеВ

dl385 + SA-6402 + install MSA500 = termination problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andoni Papaleontiou
Occasional Advisor

dl385 + SA-6402 + install MSA500 = termination problem

hi all,

i am running a ProLiant DL385 with a smartarray 6400 2-channel U320 controller.

on the weekend i tried connecting an MSA500 drive array to the external connectors via VHDCI cable however i got the error message:

"1776-Slot X Drive Array - SCSI Bus Termination Error", and another error below saying that the controller would be disabled until the problem was fixed.

So, the termination is the problem, but I can't find any documents showing how to change this. There isn't any mention of changing termination in the manuals for the 6402 controller.

Can anyone help? This array needs to be an additional storage device, not replace the current storage already inside the server.

Many thanks in advance.

Andoni
3 REPLIES 3
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Re: dl385 + SA-6402 + install MSA500 = termination problem

If port is used for external scsi devices, remove the internal cable. The internal scsi cable is terminated. You can use the the internal or the external not both at the same time. If you have an internal cable connected or something interal connected remove it.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor
Solution

If you have the same controller for the internal drives, you should get an additional controller for the MSA.
Andoni Papaleontiou
Occasional Advisor

hi guys, thanks for your replies. The SCSI cabling is indeed in PCI duplex mode, i.e. both channels on the 6402 are taken, therefore i will need to install another card. thanks.