108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dl80g6 / p800 drive bay order

mathiasbraun
Occasional Visitor

dl80g6 / p800 drive bay order

hi,
consider the following offset:
dl380g6 with p800 and harddrives connected to the internal backplane. all components flashed up today.
hd leds are not functional in this offset (apart from a little lightshow on powering on the box). documented issue. so far so good.

the problem is that the bay numbering reported from controller bios, smartstart or drivers doesn't correspond to the numbering on the server's front, i.e. if the front numbering is

1 5
2 6
3 7
4 8

the bays reported by e.g. the controller bios will be

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

or even (if switching ports)

8 4
7 3
6 2
5 1

bad thing if you get a trap that hd in bay 2 has failed and you replace a functional one...

can't tell whether this is an historical issue or something introcuded by a backplane / controller / whatever firmware.
any hints?
t.i.a.
mb
3 REPLIES 3
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: dl80g6 / p800 drive bay order

If you identify drive 1, will that turn on light drive 4?

If a drive i degraded or failed, you will have indicator light on the bad drive.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

mathiasbraun
Occasional Visitor

no lights will be functional in this offset, neither on "identify" nor on hd failure.

---
Title: HP Proliant Servers - When Connected to P800 Controller the Internal Hard Drive LEDs do not Light up on a G6 Server
Object Name: mmr_na-0261105
Document Type: Support Information
Original owner: ProLiant Servers
Disclosure level: HP and Customer Viewable
Version state: published

Issue
When using a P800 controller with internal drives in a DL380 G6 server, no LEDs light up, eventhough an array is created and all the internal hard drives are working fine.
Solution
In G6 servers, we have to make sure that the Smart Array controller P800 should only be used for external storage boxes like MSAs. The LEDs on the internal hard drives, when connected to the controller, will not light up.

With P800 controllers in G6 servers, there is no option to connect the LEDs from the harddrives to the controller and to the backplane. Therefore the light signals to the backplane and to the drives are ignored.
├п┬┐┬╜ Copyright 2010 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
---

that's actually the problem...

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Ohh, wasn't aware of that. But nice to know.

On the old server disk numbering was from bottom right > top right > bottom middle > middle and so on.

So the G6 is diferent labelled. I don't know why.

So in this case the P800 isn't a good choise.

You could use another controller. Or do a lot of testing before putting it in production.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo