ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753679 Members
5540 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dual processor proliant 3000 has a 212 error about bad second processor

Wesley Pierce

dual processor proliant 3000 has a 212 error about bad second processor

We had an older proliant 3000 cluster that we recently took off line. I decided that I was going to scrap the cluster and make one decent redhat box.

The original configuration was a single 333 Mhz processor, and I have since added a second idential 333 Mhz processor. It detected the second processor and worked well enough to get me through the redhat installation.

Now all of a sudden I am getting 212 errors saying that my second processor has failed. I have run the system configuration utility and told it that it was replaced, and that fixed the problem for a short period of time until it poped up again. I took that course of action several times, but now the error won't go away.

Additional troubleshooting steps take are:

*Swap processors around, still shows second processor bad.
*Boot on both single processors, and both have no issues by themselves.

I haven't had a lot of experience with compaq hardware, is there a bios flash that needs to take place to fix this issue?
4 REPLIES 4
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: dual processor proliant 3000 has a 212 error about bad second processor

Hi Wesley:

The latest E39 BIOS for your server is dated 4/19/2000 and available from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/8571.html

It may possibly correct your 212 errors - do an NVRAM clear after the update.

If the errors continue, you are probably looking at a hardware problem - have you tried each processor on its own in slot 1 and then slot 2? You might also try swapping the processor boards themselves.

You have eliminated the processors as the source of the error - each of them works on its own.

You may have a bad processor board, or processor board slot on the systemboard.

Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Wesley Pierce

Thanks for the response. How do I go about clearing the NVRAM after I have flashed the bios? Is that an option during the bios flash?
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Wesley;

I apologize for taking so long in getting back to you - I've been on vacation.

Here are the steps to clear NVRAM using the advanced F10 feature:

CLEARING NVRAM USING THE ADVANCED FEATURES OF F10 UTILITY:

1) At the main screen you will have 4 choices beginning with system configuration. At this screen, press CTRL-A to enable advanced mode options.

2) Choose the options "System configuration", "Configure Hardware", "Review and Modify Hardware Settings", and "View and Edit Details."

3) Scroll halfway down till you see Advanced Features and select "Erase Nonvolatile Memory>". Press enter

4) You will be warned twice, then turn off server.

5) On reboot, you should receive a message asking if you want server to be configured - answer yes.

6) If you get asked if you want to use backup configuration file, say NO.

7) Configuration files should load and you will be asked to save and exit.

8) Make sure your boot controller is set correctly in the dialogue screens; if not, go back into *View and Edit Details* to set it.

You might have already figured this out on your own, but I always find it helpful to have the steps written out.

Happy New Year!

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Duminda Peiris
Advisor

There were many important steps mentioned in Janine's advise, I'll just give this idea too.

Once I encountered the same error in PL3000 server, after running for a long period of time with dual processor config. At last it was found to be the system board failure in its 2nd proc slot.

So as the last option you may try replacing the system board after going thru all the other steps;

Hope this will also help you,.....