HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail confirmation when an array drive is faulty on DL380

Andrew Williams_5
Occasional Contributor

e-mail confirmation when an array drive is faulty on DL380

We have 25 Proliant DL380's each configured with RAID5. This setup is fine when all the drives are working but we need an easy way of knowing when a drive is faulty in the array.

A quick e-mail to my work account would be fantastic. Can this be done? If so how?
3 REPLIES
Stuart_45
Advisor

Re: e-mail confirmation when an array drive is faulty on DL380

We are using somewhat obsolete software to achieve this. We have the management agents installed on all our servers. We then run Compaq Insight Manager v5.30 on an old workstation, this is configured to monitor each server. It is also configured to send email and SMS text messages to cell phones on any failures. Works great. We have not moved off of Insight Manager 5.30 as this version does not require a web server to function, it is a standalone piece of software.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Andrew:

If you installed the systems through SmartStart they should already have the Insight Management Agents on them. The agents themselves have the ability to send an email through an SMTP mail server. Find the setup under Start --> All Programs --> HP Management Agents --> Event Notifier Config. If the agents aren't present, the easiest way to get them there is by using the ProLiant Support Pack. Get the latest version at http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

With 25 systems, though, I would suggest that you could benefit by using the HP Systems Insight Manager application. Its 3rd release, version 4.2, will be out in a few days. Not only will it be able to manage fault alerts, it can assist with keeping the systems up to date and even monitor performance. More info at http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim.

Stuart:

"Obsolete software" is the understatement of the year. CIM has been end of life for 3 years now, and 5.3 was even 2 steps back from the last and final version. I don't know how large your environment is, or if you are adding any new servers regularly or anytime soon, but it's important to know that CIM cannot receive traps, particularly disk traps, from any server that requires agents 6.4 or later (any server you've received in the last year or so).

When you mention "web server," is that because you have an objection to a web interface or because you think you would have to set up and maintain a web server? If the latter, you may not know that HP SIM contains its own web server and doesn't require Apache or IIS.

Finally, there were a number of customers like you that avoided upgrading to Insight Manager XE or Insight Manager 7 because they felt the interface was too clunky. You'll be happy to know that HP Systems Insight Manager, although hosted within a web browser, addresses the concerns of those users, and many of the "I'll fight before I switch!" users have been satisfied with HP SIM and have since implemented it.

You may find this link interesting: Top 5 Reasons to Upgrade -
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/upgrade-smb.html#a
Stuart_45
Advisor

David:

The "having to use IIS" was the big no no. We use as few Microsoft server products as possible. We'll take a look at the HP SIM though.

Thanks