cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enable onboard SATA ML110 G1

Jan Engstrom
Occasional Visitor

enable onboard SATA ML110 G1

Is it possible to enable the onboard SATA channels on ML110 G1?
4 REPLIES
raadek
Honored Contributor

Re: enable onboard SATA ML110 G1

What do you mean by that? Embedded controller in that server is ATA, not SATA. In SATA models you have additional, slot-based SATA controller:

"Integrated Dual Channel Ultra ATA-133 IDE (ATA Models)
4 port SATA RAID controller (SATA Model)"

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Jan Engstrom
Occasional Visitor

On the motherboard there is two SATA connectors. When trying to enable them in BIOS setup the entry is grayed out.

raadek
Honored Contributor

OK, in theory SATA controller is a part of Intel E7210 chipset, which is present on this motherboard.

But I have no idea how deeply HP has disabled it or whether there is a hack to reverse that.

Looking purely at the ML110 G1 spec there should be no SATA ports onboard :)
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
RufusG
Frequent Advisor

I have an ML110 G2 where I fitted a Promise FastTrak SATA adapter and 2 additional SATA drives in RAID-1 in addition to the original "C" drive. Such SATA RAID Adapters are only about $70 today.

I used SATA-1 components when I built the system in 2005, but today I would use SATA-2 as they are faster.

I installed the Operating System on the "C" drive and store all my Data on the separate "F" drive.

That way I can re-build the Operating System without touching the Data on the "F" drive.

My working Data is on a separate Workstation and I have a Utility that does an incremental backup of all changes from my WorkStation to the RAID drive on the Server - Belt & Braces !

Using techniques like this I have stored photographs and other personal & business data from 1984 in a succession of computers.

Hope that this helps you.