ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753442 Members
4810 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

error 212 processor 1 failed

Ian Watson_2

error 212 processor 1 failed

I receive this error during the POST boot up, and it also occurs on CPU 2. I dont belive that both could be faulty.

Any ideas
11 REPLIES 11
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: error 212 processor 1 failed

Ian:

Have you tried to reseat the processors and PPM's in the server to see if they have just come loose?

-john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Ian Watson_2

thanks for the quick reply John, yes ive tried every configuration i can think of sometimes one of the processors work, but in any configuration in slots 1 and 2 neither work. If its at all related there is a critical system fan error also, but the only fans i can locate are the 2 main fans located at the fron of the server and both seem to be operating fine.
John Venables_2
Occasional Contributor

Ian, What model of server is this on please...I will try and help as best as I can, if I can get an idea what device...
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Hhmmm... What server (model and generation) and have you tried to POST the system without any drives in it.

This could also be a weak power supply?
Enjoy!

Ian Watson_2

The server is a compaq presario 5500. I havent tried disconnected the cd or Dat drives. i have already tried removing and switching around the power supplies...they both show a green light wehn power is connected. I will try removing the cd and DAT drive and floppy and see if that helps...
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

No no... The HDD's will draw a big load which could have been this effect.. but lets discount it for now. If the health LED's are green, then lets trust them.

Give this a try...

Remove the second processor and the PPM from the system and POST. does it come up?

If it does, run the System Configuration Utility (from SmartStart) and save the config.

Power off and install the second CPU and PPM. Does it POST or no?

If it will POST, re-run the SCU and save the new config.

Power off and back on... still working or no?

If it will not POST with two processors in, remove #2 processor and then swap the PPM for the first processor with the second processor and see if it will POST. If yes, then the PPM's are good. If not, then you have a failed PPM.

Let me know what you find? -john
Enjoy!

JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Let me clarify the test...

If the ProLiant will not post with two processors in, remove the second processor "and" the second PPM. Swap the PPM's in the first processor to test if the PPM's is failed.
Enjoy!

Ian Watson_2

Thanks for the reply's chaps...will do what you have suggested this morning and let you know how things go on.
Ian Watson_2

Ok tried that and still no joy. The server doesnt power on with the second cpu out. its needs to be configured with bracing/blocking slots(plastic boards with no cpu) to allow to power on. aside from all this there is also a system critical fan error that occurs but both fans seem fine to me...will this have any impact on anything apart from making the server power off after 5 seconds!!!