Re: event ID: 11 Source Disk

Michielb

event ID: 11 Source Disk

Hi,
When coldbooting my server I got the error
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2"
Event Id:11
Source: Disk

Before the system ran without this error.
I tried coldbooting the server again but the problem didn't solve itself.
It's a Compaq ML350 with 4 HD's an internal dds tape drive and an external DLT drive. It's running W2k SP3 and Exchange5.5

Anybody with the same problem and solved it?

grtx
Michiel
5 REPLIES 5
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Michielb

But one thing I don't understand. If the system ran for 3 years without this problem and without any other updates, how can a firmware solve this problem?

And then, I don't like the idea of updating firmware on this server since it is our exchange server. Downtime on this server is not an option. How can I be sure that the system wil restart after updating this firmware?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

If no down time available, you can run ADU report and analyze it, If firmware wont solve problem, at least have hardware ready for replacement, depend on the ADU results.
Michielb

Ok, I downloaded the firmware maintenance cd.

Is the firmware update for the
Symbios Logic 896, 22910 PCI SCSI Adapter? I can't find this controller in the list.

Other questions I have. How can I tell which drive is giving the problem? All drives give a healthy status.

And is the error an error in the disk controller or in the controller in the disk?

I also have a compaq 64-Bit/66Mhz Wide Ultra3 SCSI adapter installed. The DLT drive is connected to this one.
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

Dear Michiel,

The issue can be attributable to either. If you have the Proliant Support Pack 7.40 installed, you will have the hp Insight Diagnostics 7.40.x installed as well. It has a diagnose hard drive function, at least for Windows 2000/2003 and some versions of Linux.

For other environments supporting the hp Management Agents, you can access the System Management Homepage and check for failure and prefailure warnings, Like the Insight Diagnostics, it should be available from one of the Start menu folders.