event id 4105 4106

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

event id 4105 4106

i am getting frequent error messages in the system event log on my nt 4 server:

event id: 4105
source: CpqNF3
type: warning
desc: CpqNF31: Network link is down. Please check your cabling. See documentation for more information or contact your service provider.

followed immediately by:

event id: 16
source: CPQRCMC
type: warning
desc: The device driver, CpqNF31, reported a warning: Network Adapter Link Down (Slot 0, Port 1)

follwed by, after 2 seconds:

Event ID 4106
source: CpqNF3
Type: information
desc: NqpNF31: Network link has been restored.

i think this is causing a number of problems on our network, as this is happening quite frequently (once per minute or 2). i searched the message archive, but couldn't find anything.
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: event id 4105 4106

I am experiencing the same problem, The box is currently being used as an sql server and the connection problems are definitely slowing things down to almost a halt. Does anyone have a solution to this???? The only real difference is that it is happening to me at least 4 times a minute since last week........
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem with my ProLiant 1600 NT, I've an Exchange Server installed and sometime all users can't connect to the network. Maybe you can help me . . . please.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have two ProLiant 1600's and get these messages, but very intermittently. Perhaps a couple of times a month. Because it isn't frequent it hasn't been a performance issue; but I would like to head this off if possible.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

To all having this issues. Because you have a messed up WINS infrastructure, the WINS is not being able to update itself for a possible number of reasons. First, the WINS database on this server is mostlikely corrupted. Uninstall and reinstall WINS on this server and it should resolve the issue. If it does not it means your issues extends into the way you have setup you WINS infrastructure. The problem is NT can not write information to the WINS database. It may have a PUSH partner it is asking to send info too but can not read the database to send the info. (4105) Or you have one server and enabled WINS and a replication partner used to be there but is gone. The WINS database is empty and the only way to really resolve is to reinstall WINS.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

There was an older network driver that had these symptoms - I'd suggest updating the SSD and NIC drivers - if you're still having the issue - email us at support@compaq.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

It just so happened that I updated the SSD and NIC drivers last week, and I haven't seen the problem in our NT Event Log since, so I'm hoping this fixed it. Then again, I'm going to have to continue to monitor this for a while, because the problem we had been experiencing with the 4105 - 4106 errors had been sporadic. But I do think we would have seen it by now, so I'm hopeful that this was the answer.

Thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I have the problem on 2 servers, Proliant 800 6/500+ and 6/350

1 - The 6/500+ is under TSE 4.0 + Citrix Metaframe 1.8. I had the problem during 4 month without any problem with the users and the connexion between the TSE and the file server under Netwar 4.11. I made all the release I can (Microsoft SP, Citrix SP, NTSSD, ROMPAQ....), the problem disappear when I replace an old SMC 100BT hub by a HP switch Procurve 2424M.

2- The other server (6/350) is under netware 4.2SBS, I apply the same method than the other server under NT/TSE, the message is still here.
The symtom is the same, but the frequency of the message is not fix
Like the first server, the users don't experience connexion problem
I try many choice of speed in the driver (100Mbits/Half, 100Mbits/Full) --> no change.
I have a 3COM dual speed hub, next week, I'am going to try an other Hub or Switch.

If anyone have a solution

jean-Luc