108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: expand RAID 6 (ADG) on P440AR

SOLVED
Go to solution
tato386
Advisor

expand RAID 6 (ADG) on P440AR

I have a P440AR with 6x300GB drives in RAID6 (ADG).  The array contains a 300GB OS logical drive #1 and a 817GB data logical drive #2.  The server OS is Windows 2012R2.  I added an additional 2x300GB disks with the plan of expanding the array and then extending logical drive 2 but the expand option is not avaible.  I have done this umpteen times with RAID5 so I am guessing RAID6 is treated differently?

Can a RAID6 be expanded?  If not, can I migrate to RAID5 and then expand?  What are my options?

Thanks,

Diego

Thanks,
Diego
3 REPLIES 3
krasinka1409
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello, 

there are no limitations for RAID 6, so you shuld be able to expand the RAID. First of all, make sure that you are running latest Controller Firmware and lastest Smart Storage Administrator Version. 

The Smart Storage Administrator does no longer need to first expand and than extend like the old ACU. As long as I know, there is currently one action olny.

Open the SSA, select configure--> select the controller--> select the array you wish to extend and than click on "manage data drives" on the right side in the "actions" menu. The possible extend option will show up. 

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
tato386
Advisor

I alreedy had the latest FW but upgrading the managment software light up the option to expand.

Thank you

Thanks,
Diego
DDAR71
Occasional Visitor

In my case, I had to disable Cache on Logical Array I wanted to expand.

Select each new physical disk I wanted to add to the Logical Array and select "Enable Erased Drive".

Then when I highlighted Logical Array the options to Manage and Expand appeared.