5926 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

extend c volume

SOLVED
Go to solution
bryan ogle

extend c volume

i have software raid with 6 harddrives on ML 370.

Disk 0 (simple volume) c: 6 gb & L:(new volume) 28 gb.

disk 1 through 5 raid 5 e: 135 (all disks are dynamic)

Is there easier way to reduce L: and add space to c without deleting the l: volume and recreating it smaller to add more space to c:

3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: extend c volume

Bryan:

You will need to find software that can do this for you. In the past, I have used Partition Magic to complete similar tasks.

PM does not work with all OS's though and may not work with Dynamic disks. That, combined with software RAID... it might be difficult to even do.

I remember someone posting about a piece of software that could probably handle what you need, but it was a while ago and MANY posts ago. I would have to do some extensive searching.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Depending on the OS version you can use Volume Maanager from symantec to do this. Otherwise I cannot think of any other way without starting over. Diskpart will not work (I think) because you need to downsize/shift L:\. If you had free space it might.

http://sea.symantec.com/content/product.cfm?productid=7
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Bryan

I guess there are utilities like "Norton Ghost" from symantec which can help you. You may store disk image on external USB drive or Network storgae, use this utility to modify partitions and bring back the image.

Regards
Mahesh