1753396 Members
7237 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: extending a logical drive

Will Clark
Occasional Advisor

So I???ve read and re-read these postings and the Microsoft q article about diskpart.exe and I still have some questions.
First, my initial set up: I have a 5300 going to a storageworks 4354 with six 18.1 Gig drives. The array is raid 0+1 so I have about 54 gig of space. This array is my logical disk 1.

I just added two more 18.1 gig drives and tried to extend my logical drive 1 and obviously ran into the problem that this thread is discussing.
This is what I???ve done so far.
In the ACU version 2.90A, I created another logical disk 2.
In the disk management system of w2k the disk showed up as another drive
The wizard appear when I went into disk management and asked me put a disk signature on the drive and make it a dynamic volume. I did this. I called my volume ???D4??? and I set dynamic disk to ???simple disk???

That???s all I???ve done so far. Because I???ve ran into the following questions.
Here is what I understand should be my next steps but I want to make sure:

My logical dirve 1 is BASIC and from what I???ve read I have to make it dynamic in order to extend it. 1) Is this true?
And 2) When I do this should I make it a simple disk? It seems so since my hardware is taking care of the raid. 3) Microsoft says you wont loose data when going from basic to dynamic. Is that ture?

After I make my logical disk 1 a simple disk dynamic (which by the way is Drive E: on my system) then I go span the two logical disks so they have the same drive letter ???E:???

Then I go into the diskpart.exe utility and according to the q article basically type in a few commands like the volume name, in my case ???D4??? and type expand.

Next go into the ACU, click on the logical drive 2 and click on expand.

And hopefully that???s it.

Is this all correct? Am I missing a step?

Thank you all so much for helping me.
-will

andy steven
Valued Contributor

u can only extend a locigal drive that was created as dynamic, not one that was upgraded to dynamic from basic.

from what i can work out from the above MS artical unless the space appears at the end of the existing partition, i.e. on the same disk (which this controller doesn't) you will have to span two dynamic disks together from within "Disk management".

The disk you want to extend must have been created dynamic.

epping
Will Clark
Occasional Advisor

5300 will support it and the q article says it's possible,
"Some storage hardware will, by default, automatically create a new logical disk and volume for the new space despite the fact that the expansion of the existing logical disk is a possible option."

To get it all working I think you have to use diskpart.exe.

Are you 100% sure about not being able to expand it you upgrade from BASIC to DYNAMIC.
andy steven
Valued Contributor

if u go to expand a logical drive in the ACU you will get a warning that windows 2000 does not support this option and you may lose all data, I have phoned Compaq and thay say it is not supported.

If you go to extend a dynamic disk that was upgraded from a basic disk windows will give you an error that the disk was not created as dynamic and therefore the expansion can not take place.

epping
Will Clark
Occasional Advisor

Andy-
I have successfully extended my logical drive with a basic drive WITHOUT restoring or loosing any data.
Here???s what you have to do in this order.
0) Upgrade to W2k SP3
1) Upgrade the firm ware for the 5300 control to version 2.92
2) Upgrade the firm ware of the hard drives using the Rompaq 3.03 (you will need 12 floppy disks and reboot using disk 1: follow the instructions: the flash takes a while)
3) Upgrade the ACU (array control utility) to the HP version 6.x (the Compaq 2.90 A version wont do the extend properly.)
4) Go into the HP???s ACU. It???s a web interface, it will try to log you on as administrator. The default password is ???administrator???
5) Click on the array you want.
6) Click on standard configuration
7) Click on Extend
8) Type in the recommended maximum
9) Click on Save (if you???re using a 600X800 screen you have to scroll over to see the save button)
10) This will take a while. (after you save the config you can close the web browser and go into the 2.90A version and look at the progress bar)
11) After the extend is done Reboot the computer.
12) Go into the 2wk Disk Manager, you should see the free space at the end of your logical drive
13) The following is for a basic drive
14) run diskpart.exe (you can download it from Microsoft)
15) type list volume
you should see the volume number of the drive you want to extend. Lets say its volume 3 you want to extend
16) type select volume 3
17) type extend
18) that???s it.
good luck.
Will Clark
Occasional Advisor

Andy-
I have successfully extended my logical drive with a basic drive WITHOUT restoring or loosing any data.
0) Upgrade to W2k SP3
2) Upgrade the firm ware of the hard drives using the Rompaq 3.03 (you will need 12 floppy disks and reboot using disk 1: follow the instructions: the flash takes a while)
3) Upgrade the ACU (array control utility) to the HP version 6.x (the Compaq 2.90 A version wont do the extend properly.)
4) Go into the HP???s ACU. It???s a web interface, it will try to log you on as administrator. The default password is ???administrator???
7) Click on Extend
9) Click on Save (if you???re using a 600X800 screen you have to scroll over to see the save button)
10) This will take a while. (after you save the config you can close the web browser and go into the 2.90A version and look at the progress bar)
12) Go into the 2wk Disk Manager, you should see the free space at the end of your logical drive
15) type list volume
you should see the volume number of the drive you want to extend. Lets say its volume 3 you want to extend
16) type select volume 3
17) type extend
18) that???s it.
good luck.
Will Clark
Occasional Advisor

Andy-
0) Upgrade to W2k SP3
7) Click on Extend
15) type list volume
16) type select volume 3
17) type extend
18) that???s it.
good luck.

AtlantisNet

Actually, I was able to increase the drive space of a single partition without any problems. I have a Compaq ML350 server with 4 9.1 GB drives in a raid 5 configuration using the Compaq Smary Array 431 controller. 1 of the 4 drives is an online spare. The physical drives in the array were configured with 2 basic NTFS partitions. A C: partition of 4GB and a D: partition of 14GB. After the upgrade, I ended up with a D: partition of approximately 63GB. Here is how I did it:

1. Replaced the 4 9.1GB drives with 4 36.4GB U320 Universal Hard Drives (1") 10,000 rpm (286713-B22).

2. Each drive was replaced one at a time starting with the first data drive 0 and ending with the spare.

3. Installed Windows 2000 SP3.

4. Installed all Microsoft Critical Updates.

5. Upgraded the Compaq Array Configuration Utility to version 2.90.65.0.

6. Upgraded the Compaq Smart Array 431 ROM BIOS to version 1.22 B.

7. Upgraded the Compaq Smart Array-2 Controllers Driver for Windows 2000 to version 5.14.0.0 B.

8. Installed HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility 1.10.20 (6.20.9.0) a.k.a. Compaq Array Configuration Utility XE.

9. Extended the drive using the Compaq Array Configuration Utility XE.

10. Rebooted.

11. Ran the Microsoft Diskpart Command Line Utility (diskpart.exe) to extend the D: partition and use the newly available unallocated space.

12. Rebooted.
Dan Moraru

I have followed the steps outlined here, however I do not see the free space (unpartitioned space in Windows 2000 Disk Management or diskpart.exe. The ACU 6.4 displays me the extended array with 1 logical drive that was initially created and the unused space, which is equal to the space on the new SCSI drive I added to my RAID 5 array. Do I need to extend the logical drive in ACU 6.4 in order to make Windows 2000 "see" that there is extra space available?

Dan.
AtlantisNet

Yes, it needs to be extended. Then you'll reboot, run diskpart.exe and finally reboot again. See steps 9-12 in my post above.