108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

external array/controller type

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

external array/controller type

Have a 2P array controller installed and operating. Also have a 2DH controller, and wondering if it would be better to install the 2DH. Also, have acquired a series 3161 external raid array, and cannot find any info on the Compaq web site for it. Will the 2P controller control the internal array and the external? I know that the 2DH will. Also, the 3161 has two 68 pin connectors on the rear of the unit. Does the 3161 have an internal scsi termination, or is the second connector on the rear for a termination block? Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: external array/controller type

The 2p and the 2DH are very similar cards for speed. The only difference is the battery backed cache The 2P only has 4MB of read/write cache. The 2DH has 16Mb or read.write cache. 2DH is the best choice here. Both cards have 2 SCSI channels. Boith will support both internal and external drives.
Is there a part number on the 3161?
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thank you. The series 3161 only has a number on the lower right front, which I "assume" to be the serial no., but here it is. D613HMQ10861. The unit is a rack mount 7-bay unit with standard and duplex modes.
Is there anything that I need to do prior to or when upgrading to the 2DH controller?
Could both controllers be run in the server at the same time if I ever wanted to add more goodies?
BTW: Thanks for this forum.
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

There is nothing that needs to be done before upgrading the firmware and they both use the same driver also.
Yes, both controllers can be used in the same server. You just have to be aware of which one has the OS and also when you do decide to install it, please make sure it's on a different PCI bus. This will help with performance.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info, but can anyone tell me if I need to terminate this 3161 drive rack prior to firing it up? What damage can be done if it needs a termination block and doesn't have one installed when powered on?
Thanks!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

FYI: Apparently the "Series 3161" has an internal scsi termination, as have connected unit with drives to the Proliant 5000R and everything appears to be operating properly.