ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745924 Members
4399 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

failing disk RAID 1+0

skucan

failing disk RAID 1+0

I have ML350G5 server on witch i have RAID 1+0 array with 2 SAS drives set on P400 controller. One of drives is reporting S.M.A.R.T predictive failure. I am looking for the right procedure to replace failing drive and rebuild array. My boot partition is on that array.
6 REPLIES 6
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Re: failing disk RAID 1+0

Hi,
The procedure is as simple as: remove the failed drive and replace it with the new drive.

Note: The replacement drive should ideally be of the same size, model and firmware.

The RAID should build on its own.

If the RAID does not start rebuilding, then you have to check the above mentioned parameters, if this does not start the rebuild, check for the error message in ADU and contact support for the correct part replacement.

skucan

Amol Garge, I have tried that, but it doesent seem to work. Drive has not failed yet but it reports S.M.A.R.T. predictive failure.
When I turn off server and replace that failing drive with new, same size, same model, same firmware, rebuilding array doesent start automatically when I turn it on again.
Maybe if someone has experiance with 2 disks RAID 1+0 on P400 in ML350G5?
Thanks!
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I have replaced failed drives on machines with P400 and 12 drives in RAID 6.

On any Smart Array. You remove a drive, failed, degraded (in your case) or just for testing.
When you put in a new drive it wil spin up, and begin rebuild within 15 seconds.

On the P400 with 12 drives in RAID 6. I have seen delays on on detecting new drive an start rebuild.
In those cases. I removed a failed drive, solid red light. Put in new drive, and the new drive had red light strait away. The after 2 - 3 minutes, it went green and startet rebuild.
I have seen that between 2 and 4 times.
For sure with HP01 FW on Seagate SATA drives, fw older than 5.22 on the P400, and old FW on the drive backplane.
I can't remember if I have seen this problem after the machines was upgraded.

So try to waite for a few minutes.
And consider a FW upgrade.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

skucan

Tnx for reply, i will try to do it again this evening (now is noon here) when users are offline.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Let us know if you have luck or not.

Accept or Kudo

skucan

Be sure that i will!