5867 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: fan noise gets really loud on the power supply - DL380 G5

famousgorila
Occasional Contributor

fan noise gets really loud on the power supply - DL380 G5

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me out or give me some insight on this problem I am having. We have a Proliant DL380 G5 server at our office and everytime it gets hot the fan on one of our power supplies gets super loud. I understand that the power supply is trying to cool itself off but the problem is it gets insanely loud (the whole building can hear it) and it doens't ever ramp back down once the unit gets cool. How can I fix this problem? We have redundant power supplies set up on the server but the fan seems to get loud on the same unit everytime. 

3 REPLIES 3
Sirajul haque
Frequent Advisor

Some of the steps you could try

1. The fan speed is basically controlled by BIOS and iLO of the server, so make sure that you have both updated to the latest. Fan issue may happen if incorrect temp readings are send to BIOS/ILO

2. Check for any Dust on fans or system board which may contribute to heat Issue

3. If you have access to ILO, you may find temp readings of the server. So find out whether fan spins because of high temp or not.

4. May I know the server have any 3rd party devices installed, PCI/HDDs etc?

:)

Regards

SiRu

Though I work for HP, I do not represent HP here :)
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

What OS are you running?
The PSP - proliant support pack - includes a health driver - which on the DL380 G5 I believe controls the fan (can bring it down, as opposed to the BIOS that can only bring up the speed).
famousgorila
Occasional Contributor

There is only one 3rd party device installed which is a small quantum removable disk drive. I am running windows 2008 small business server.