8386 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

fddi and 5300 controler

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

fddi and 5300 controler

Please help me out on this one:
I've got a ML570 proliant and ordered it with a 100 FDDI PCI DAS Fiber SC- Part# 242509-001 and a 5300 controller. These 2 cards both need a 64 bit PCI slot (got 2 of them in the 570) but the FDDI card is running a 33 MHZ bus clock and the 5300 wants a 66 MHZ bus speed!!
How can I solve this problem. The FDDI card or the 5300 controller doesn't fit in any other PCI slot. So I need another FDDI card but Compaq doesn't support any other FDDI (DAS, PCI) card for the ml570. I've been to 3com for a similair card but then again 3com does not support windows 2000 for this card.... :-( Please help.
Rob Stoffels Networking Experise Holland www.neh.nl
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: fddi and 5300 controler

In the ML570 , Slots 2, 3 are 64 bits /33Mhz and Slots 4 ,5 are 64 bits /66 Mhz . Both cards are supported in the Server .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

sorry, but de fddi card as well as the 5300 controler need long pci slots, so they both need the same slot size, this meens (in the 570) they go on the same bus. And that's the problem here, see, the 5300 runs on 66MHZ and the FDDI runs on 33 MHZ. The FDDI controler does not(!) fit into any other then slot 4 or 5 as well as the 5300 controler does not(!) fit in any other slot then 4 or 5. Look at the cards and at the PCI slots and you'll know what I mean. So I still have a problem. . . . . . HELP!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You better lookj at the server again. Because there is 5, 64 bit pci slots on this server.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes!
But look at the clock rates and the size of the slots.....and the cards...
Read carefully and you whill understand my problem
Six total PCI slots:
Two 64-bit/66-MHz PCI Hot Plug,
two 64-bit/33-MHz PCI Hot Plug,
one 64-bit/33-MHz PCI Non-Hot
Plug, one 32-bit/33-MHz PCI
Non-Hot Plug
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

obviously you need this spelt out several times.......
put 64/33 in slots for 64/33
put 64/66 in slots for 64/66
ignore card lengths
alternatively get somebody who knows what they're doing to do it
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The fiber card is a 32/33MHZ card. Put this card in any other slot in the server except slot 4 and 5 and it will work fine.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

JW,

so by now I got a problem, explaining my problem . . .. . :-)
A "normal" (5 volt) PCI card-conector looks like this:

|___________________________| |________|

Or like this

|___________________________| |________| |_______________|

But the FDDI - , as well as the 5300- controler, has a connector that looks like this:

|_______| |____________________________| |_______________|

(Now look at the possition of the notches....)

These are made to fit in expension slot 4 or 5 !!!!

So how in the H*LL can I put such a card in any other expension slot than 4 or 5???
(Maybe with a hammer and a saw I will) :-)

No, but seriously, is your FDDI card looking like the first drawing then please tell me what card you use because I need a card like that.
Strangly enough, these slots (4 and 5) are designed for 64bit/66MHZ PCI cards as I can read in my Quickfind specs, but the FDDI card that was delivered with the server is a 33MHZ card but does (because of the notches) not fit into any other then 4 or 5.

Weeew I hope that 'll do?