3433 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fedora on proliant servers

marcj
Advisor

fedora on proliant servers

Hi,

Do anyone know on how to install linux fedora operating system on Proliant servers? I have read the supported operating systems for proliant servers and linux fedora is not included. Do I have any other options on how to install the fedora using manual installation?

Hope anyone could help me with this matter.

Thanks,
marcj
12 REPLIES 12
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Since Fedora is a 'community supported' operating system without a certification program, it doesn't fit in with a certified and supported by HP listing. However, Fedora works great.
Zakie Baihaqi

Fedora is community, my best think if you use enterprise community use CentOS, it looks like RHEL AS4 (Proliant Certified).

I have installing CentOs 4.4
It Works Great. ...Raid1 on ML150 G3

Here is my trick for Installing CentOs 4.4 on Embedded SATA RAID
on Proliant ML150 G3 with no floppy drive:

I have 2x 250Gb SATA drives using raid1, but centos 4.4 always detect my raid1 as two drive
sda and sdb, i have no idea after i found the trick.

Preinstalled first:
- download preinstalled driverdisk at hp support&driver website
file called HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver Diskette for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86)
download the file : adpahci-1.2.5571-1.rhel4.i686.dd.gz and save into your drive
- extract that file using winzip/winrar, and copy extracted file "adpahci-1.2.5571-1.rhel4.i686.dd"
into your flashdisk (usb removable)
Make sure you have file "adpahci-1.2.5571-1.rhel4.i686.dd" in your flashdisk
- Set BIOS to enable RAID on SATA Enhance and make sure firs boot is CDRom
- After AHCI Raid Utility appears, Set Raid Array by press F8 and build your own Raid0 or Raid1
(i am using raid1 for mirroring data), and finally build can take a several minutes/hour.

Installing CentOS 4.4 Server CD:
- Plug your flashdisk/usb stick to server usb front
- Boot from CentOS server CD
- When boot promt appears type "linux dd"
- After prompt, Choose from "sda" and "/sda/sda1"
- The file in your usb sticks looks like file "adpahci-1.2.5571-1.rhel4.i686.dd" and enter
- OK now I have load module from that file.
- Now, my Raid1 is detected as one drive as mirror disk.
- Continue installing CentOS with your draw.

That's my experience, and i am happy now maybe i can help the people too.
GOOD LUCKS ..!!!
marcj
Advisor

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it a lot. However, we need to install the fedora OS for the proliant server. Do anybody know some trick on how to fedora on proliant servers?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Depends on what model ProLiant. Fedora should install OK on any ProLiant that uses a Smart Array disk controller or just a plain disk controller. The ProLiant systems that have the embedded SATA RAID controller will not work as you won't find a driver for the fedora kernel.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Marcj,

You don't say which version of Fedora you're trying to install, or which ProLiant you're trying to install onto...

There are numerous versions of each !

Please provide more details, and the problem you are getting when trying to install.

Cheers,

Rob
pplu

Hi all,

I'd installed Fedora 8 in a Proliant ML110 G4 with RAID1 (hard) and SATA without problems. I was working perfectly with it, but the problem appears when I want to make an image of a system partition.

I'm trying it with partimage from SystemRescueCD, but in that image don├В┬┤t save MBR (partimage say can't read it).

About this, I don├В┬┤t know what to do. I suppose partimage don`t support LVM or RAID or ...

any suggestion?

Thank you very much.

jose luis
pplu

Hi all,

I'd installed Fedora 8 in a Proliant ML110 G4 with RAID1 (hard) and SATA without problems. I was working perfectly with it, but the problem appears when I want to make an image of a system partition.

I'm trying it with partimage from SystemRescueCD, but in that image don't save MBR (partimage say can't read it).

About this, I don't know what to do. I suppose partimage don`t support LVM or RAID or ...

any suggestion?

Thank you very much.

jose luis
pplu

Hi all,

I'm trying it with partimage from SystemRescueCD, but in that image don't save MBR (partimage say can't read it).

About this, I don't know what to do. I suppose partimage don't support LVM or RAID or ...

any suggestion?

Thank you very much.

jose luis
Lisa Salvadorini
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Zakie Baihaqi.
I have proliant Dl120 with CentOS 5.4.
I tied to install the driver for red hat 5 but it says that it support only 2.6.18-8.el5 -
2.6.18-53.el5 kernels. I have instead 2.6.18-164... do you think it is a problem?
I had this problem with the driver rpm....

Thank you