New Discussion юеВ

Re: firmware updates

SOLVED
Go to solution
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

firmware updates

Good Morning,

I'm trying to get a handle of the firmware update process.  I downloaded the HP Service Pack for Proliant 2011.09.0 ISO image.  On Friday (Jan 27), I connected to a the ILO port of five DL380 G6s and booted from the ISO image.  I ran it successfully on each system and then rebooted each.  I thought from reading the documentation that this was supposed to install the firmware as well as the software component to supply new OS specific drivers for the new firmware (the systems are running RHEL 6.1).  However, when I do an "rpm -qa --last" on each server, the rpm last applied on each is from December.  Am I missing a step, or how do I determine if I also need to install some rpms from the hp/rpms directory?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

If you boot from the CD (aka offline firmware update) the utility will update the firmware, but it won't touch the OS.

If you run it from the OS (online), you can update drivers etc... too.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

OK, good to know.  So, I'm better off running hpsum from the OS rather than booting from the ISO, correct?  I just ran hpsum on one of the systems and told it to check for software updates.  It said there weren't any.  So, I'm assuming the firmware updates that happened on Friday did not have any corresponding OS driver updates.

Thanks again!

Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Yes and no. Not all firmware can be done "online" with HPSUM from the OS. Like Fiberchannel HBA and the Emulex NICs

Online from OS: Drivers and software and Most firmwares

Offline: Boot on the CD. All firmware. No software or drivers.