108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: firmware updation

SOLVED
Go to solution
anni0414
Frequent Visitor

firmware updation

Hai, I am ravikumar and i have a server model HP ProLiant DL180 G5 with Smart Array e200 with BBWC connected. When I go to console page of the server for a check it is showing an error as battery failed. This problem is found in the server from the day the server got suddenly got shutdown. From the day the server was booting and working with the error.Please find the attachment

My problem is, if i replace the battery is this disappears, or any firmware to be updated.

If firmware is updated is there any chance of losing the data on the controller,if so please let me know what to do, to make this error disappear.

RaviKumar.

9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Replace the failed battery and update to version 1.86.

All data are on the disks, not (only) on the controller.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
anni0414
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply

Do you say that after replacing the battery, and updating the firmware, there will be no data lose,beacuse it is stored in the hdd's

My Doubt is , is the raid configuration gets distrubed and can lose the data.

if my raid configuration gets distrubed then tell me another alternete

RaviKumar

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

There is no problem updating the firmware, as long as all disks are healthy and not failed already.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Just to add on Torsten.

The cache battery, is a cache battery only. When the battery is defective, write cache will be disabled.

When the battery has been replaced and charged write cahe will be re-enabled.

Read cahe is always on (Unless there's no cahe module)

And RAID configuration, state etc. is stored on the disks (all disks).

As far as I know, there is no configuration on the controller.In the past yes, but I believe it is no longer so (I might be wrong ).

So go ahead and replace the battery, or live with it.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

anni0414
Frequent Visitor

hai,

i have replaced the battery,but the error remains the same as failed.

T&R

RaviKumar

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The new battery must be charged.

It might take a day or so.

It should be fully cherged by now.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

anni0414
Frequent Visitor

Hello, after this many hours and days my error remains same. In the mean while i have asked for another battery for testing purposes.

If i replace the battery, and the problem remains the same, what should I do?

And also please tell me how to update the firmware for the controller, if any procedure please let me know.

T & R

RaviKumar

waaronb
Respected Contributor

On the battery module is a date code that shows the year and month the battery pack was manufactured.  Depending on where you purchased the replacement battery pack, you may have been sent an old one where the batteries aren't that stable.  I've seen some of those for sale on eBay, for example.  They're typically "new, old stock" (NOS), meaning they've been sitting on a shelf, but the batteries may have expired and can't really hold a charge.  I'd be concerned about any NOS battery pack that's been on a shelf for 3 or more years, and for a production system I'd want the most recent date possible so it lasts longer.

I've mentioned this in other replies, but on my old servers with P400/P410 controllers, I don't bother getting official battery packs anymore.  The servers they go into are usually pretty old and close to retirement (DL360/380 G5 or G6 boxes) and I don't want to spend $60 USD or more on an official HP battery for a server that may be out of service in a few months anyway.

What I do now is I picked up some 4xAAA battery packs from a local electronics store (Radio Shack for example).  They have a positive and negative lead coming out, and you can solder those onto the +/- terminals of the little circuit board from the original battery pack.  Just remove the 4 button batteries from the old pack and dispose of them.

Use 4 x AAA NiCad rechargeable batteries.  The 4xAAA batteries will provide the same voltage as the 4 button batteries did, and they should have a similar (slightly higher) mAh rating.  The stock batteries are rated at 500-650 mAh.  Depending on the AAA batteries you use, you should have around 800mAh or so, which will work fine with the charging circuitry of the controller.

On a DL380 you won't have a problem finding a place to put the battery pack.  The leads on the units I purchases were long enough to let me put the original module back in it's spot, and then tuck the external battery pack just about anywhere nearby.  You could use some double-sided tape to hold it in place if that's needed.

On a DL360 (G5 or G6) there's not as much room, so I actually cut off the unused part of the original battery pack, where those button batteries normally go, to shorten it.  Then I could put the rest of the module and my external battery pack into the provided space.  It's a close fit but it works just fine.

On newer controllers with the supercap backups I hope those will last a much longer time than battery packs.  They should, but it's too soon to tell if the supercaps have a long life.  My oldest ones are only 2.5 years old, but in theory they should last as long as the server does since a supercap isn't a chemical process prone to decay, like the rechargeable batteries.

anni0414
Frequent Visitor

Thanks you for giving me some valuable information,

i will check with my markating team and get a good one.i will get back as soon as i get the battery and update you the status.

Thankyou,

ravikumar