ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752664 Members
5669 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: flashing hard drive firmware on remote servers

djking

flashing hard drive firmware on remote servers

I was wondering if anyone has any experience flashing the firmware on hard drives in remote servers. We have problem with the lot of 300Gb drives we purchased and I need to flash them up to the latest firmware. The only problem is these servers are located all over the world so I am looking for an automated process. Can anyone help me out?
7 REPLIES 7
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

My recommendation would be to use ILO to remote into these servers and update the firmware. I don't know and I haven't heard a way to update all the servers firmware at once remotely like using the Server IP, the firmware cd doesn't have such option. Maybe some else knows an alternative.
djking

We were wondering if there were CLI commands to automate the process or if this was a one server at a time deal?
djking

Does anyone know if I can mount the firmware CD using the virtual media option in ILO and use the CLI to update the hard drives?
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Yes you can use iLO and virtual media, if you have the advance license. The PSP has an option to install the Driver on local host or remote host, but the firmware maintenance CD one at the time booting from the cd.
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

What type of 300 GB Drives? U320 or SAS/SATA drives? The SAS/SATA drives have online firmware upgrades. All it takes is to install it then reboot. It will take approximately 5 minutes to update the firmware.

I'm not sure how many servers you have across the world, but if you have two or more at each site, and as was said above, if you have iLo Advanced Pack purchased, you can use the Virtual Media to mount the CD. All else fails, you can copy it and have someone burn the CD at the site.
djking

Thank you all for the input. I have 93 servers to update. I was my intention to mount the ISO using the virtual media but it appears that this is a one by one manual process and really no way to automate it. I was trying to come up with a way to make it a little more automated.

The drives I am flashing are the 300GB SCSI 10K.
djking

Is there anyone who has had experience writing the CLI to mount the ISO remotely and answer the options to the firmware flash?

If you do can I see an example of how you did it?