4922 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fsck.ext3 error upon booting

nabeelhassan
Occasional Contributor

fsck.ext3 error upon booting

Hie all,

I am having ProLiant DL380 G7 server, what happened is that we were getting I/O error if we perform any action on the server therefore we restarted after it when its booting its giving error as per the attached snap.

Below is the diagnostics output for the storgae information

Hard Drive 1, Storage Controller in Slot 0           300.0 GB,10k RPM,SAS,HP EG0300FAWHV

Hard Drive 2, Storage Controller in Slot 0           300.0 GB,10k RPM,SAS,HP EG0300FAWHV

Hard Drive 3, Storage Controller in Slot 0           300.0 GB,10k RPM,SAS,HP EG0300FAWHV

Hard Drive 4, Storage Controller in Slot 0           300.0 GB,10k RPM,SAS,HP EG0300FAWHV

Hard Drive 5, Storage Controller in Slot 0           300.0 GB,10k RPM,SAS,HP EG0300FAWHV

Hard Drive 6, Storage Controller in Slot 0           300.0 GB,10k RPM,SAS,HP EG0300FAWHV

Hard Drive 7, Storage Controller in Slot 0           300.0 GB,10k RPM,SAS,HP EG0300FAWHV

Logical Drive 1, Storage Controller in Slot 0       300.0 GB, RAID 1 - OK

Logical Drive 2, Storage Controller in Slot 0       1.2 TB, RAID 5 - Failed

Please let me know what to do.

Thanks

Nabeel

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Looks like a logical drive has failed. Contacted hp support? Maybe they can help you fix what is broken? Replace parts if necessary?

Open acu and adu from smartstart and check status. Have you had a double disk failure?

Can you boot the os without mounting the second array? Perhaps then you have more utilities available to you.
nabeelhassan
Occasional Contributor

Yes we are contacting HP support.

How can we know that we are having a double disk failure as in the front panel i cant see any HDD flashing in red or amber color they are all normal as yellow.

How can i boot without mounting second array please guide me a little.

Thanks

Nabeel

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

There are tools to troubleshoot and check status of the array and the components.

You can download HP's smartstart CD for free and boot the server on it.

When it's loaded you can start ACU - array configuration utility - to check the initial status.

There is also an ADU - array diagnostic utility (it may have a different name these days) - that you can run to get a more detailed status report (see if a disk had hard read/write errors for example).

To boot your server without second array you'd probably need to edit the fstab. 

How to do this depends on your OS. But it probably involves booting your server into single-user mode or booting the server on a live-cd or similar from your OS.

I'd read up on fsck, ext3, and similar disk-related things for the OS that you are using.

- As for the lights not showing any errors - maybe the problem is not with the array, but with whatever is written on the disks (maybe server wrote a lot of bad things and broke the filesystem, it's hard to tell at this stage).