5995 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

global RAID failover set

SOLVED
Go to solution
stan hsieh

global RAID failover set

I have a HP Proliant DL380 G6 server. Server has 5 harddrive. It's configured with two logical RAID 0 (two drive for each logical) with the 5th drive as a spare. I'm trying configure where the 5th drive can failover to either logical RAID.
11 REPLIES 11
cnb
Honored Contributor

Re: global RAID failover set

?

Did you have a question or are you just announcing to the Forum that you're configuring a hot spare???

You might want to be more specific...

What kind of RAID adapter?
Firmware level of the system and Raid controller?
What are you using to configure the RAID?
OS Version?
Using ACU? Attach an ADU diag report.
etc...

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Being a DL380 G6, I think we can safely assume it has a p410i array controller in some form or fashion.

Each logical drive requires it's own spare. That being said in this case it doesn't matter as a spare cannot be configured for a RAID 0 array.

Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers Reference Guide

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

stan go in to hp toools in windows etsinto hp arrray config utility

and put screeenshots here of the contrller,

expand it so we cqan see each array and its discs ,

then we can assit better

raid ) is not realy raid as data is striped acrooos 2 or more discs so basically if you loose 1 disk you have nothing , welll you do its called problems as data is lost,

alsogo to adu utility array diagnostics utility and run that and attatch that here too.
as you are new here welcome and

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

>stan go in to hp toools in windows etsinto hp arrray config utility

Where does it say he's running windows?

>and put screeenshots here of the contrller,
>expand it so we cqan see each array and its discs,
>then we can assit better

Why? Stan has provided enough detail to answer his question which I did already.

> raid ) is not realy raid as data is striped
> acrooos 2 or more discs so basically if
> you loose 1 disk you have nothing , welll
> you do its called problems as data is lost,

Yes, RAID 0 is just striped drives, but it's still a valid RAID configuration. Stating it's not really RAID is just plain wrong.

>alsogo to adu utility array diagnostics
> utility and run that and attatch that here too.

ADU is time consuming and not required to answer the question

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmmmm jimmy
this is not a chat room , but to answer your question i will indulge ..as it will aid in the final solution..

you mention assumptions ...and they should not be made. so how do you assume which controller is used,and that this is the only one in the system and the only one used.

could well be more than 1 in the system ...

where does end user state which controller is used
and that this is only one and it is set in boot order etc..

thats why i made the deduction not assumptions as you do that this is a windows OS.

as often people using linux gentoo ,Solaris etc are more aware of raid etc,, than windows users this is quite evident

therefore the screen shots and adu report would be useful to determine the facts ,,this is what
actually cuts out assumptions,

your response to this is not required as this thread has other purposes.
as i say I indulged to educate you..

this post is meant n a posotive way and not meant to offend.

kind regards

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

hmmm errr mark

In this case, yes a response is required.

Regardless of how many Smart Array controllers he may have in the system, the answer is still you cannot add an online spare to RAID 0. And you cannot tag one drive to act as an online spare for multiple arrays.

Regardless of your intentions, please don't try to educate me. Several of your statements were actually insulting and offensive.

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

jimmy they were not meant to be insulting
excuse me if they were.
as i stated "this post is meant in a positive way and not meant to offend."

kind regards

Evidently even for a first year tech first thing to do is to evaluate the end user ,asap especially when the question itself is questionable /unusual ,

so you had the audacity to second question my troubleshooting this could be construed as offensive but i do not take it the same way as you clearly did,for some reason.

I made it all clear in regards to my t'shooting to educate
this is what i meant by educating /clarifying , if you are not mature enough to take this in a positive light, then you are unfortunately belittling yourself ..do not do so..

please refrain from turning this in to a chat forum , as we could be helping others or getting help for our questions..

kind regards Mark..
stan hsieh

I have attached a diagram of our RAID configuration. The OS is a WIN2003_SP2 and the spare (5th) drive is on array B. As our goal is to configure spare drive to failover either to Array A or B.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

stan

raid 0) is not really raid as data is striped across 2 or more discs so basically if you loose 1 disk you have nothing to rebuild as half is lost , well you do its called problems as data is lost,

raid zero cannot be rebuilt rason 2 disks share data 50 % goes on each data 123 goes on disk a 456 goes on disk b, 1 disk fails how can it rebuild as it is unaware of what is missing..

a mirror raid 1 2 disks are virtually identical data is written to both virtuallyy identical 1 disk fails any one , a new disk hops in it can copy from the other disk , not raid can be rebuilt

look at this link it is a good guide

http://knol.google.com/k/raid-storage-basics-guide-for-beginners#

now a special note ...............

hint :)

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)