HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

graphics card

yxs8495
Occasional Contributor

graphics card

I have a HP Proliant DL380 G7 2X2.93GHz 64GB RAM and installed both ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10.  They both have a horrid lagging problem with the mouse and the keyboard etc..

I am told that this is due to the graphics capability of the HP because everything works great when I install ubuntu on a Acer laptop.

So does my HP have any graphics card capability? If so what is it and what ubuntu 16.10 drivers are needed?

thanks in advance, john

6 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: graphics card

The grahphics in the server uses the mga driver which should work fine with Ubuntu 16.x.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
yxs8495
Occasional Contributor

1. I have downloaded from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-mga/1:1.6.3-1build1.  First option under downloads: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/xserver-xorg-video-mga_1.6.3.orig.tar.gz

Please advise on instructions. I have extracted the files, and looked through them ... but I cannot find instructions ...

2. A Radeon driver is being used and for graphics it is defaulting to some  open source Gallium .4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.8, 128 bits)...

- thanks,

working hard to remove my ignorance

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

That driver shows to be for 'Trusty' which is an older Ubuntu release than what you're attempting to install. 16.x should have a much newer 'mga' driver

CounterParry
Occasional Visitor

The HP Proliant DL380 G7 has a Intergrated ATI ES1000 graphics with only 64mb of video memory.  

The ubuntu desktop is a 3d desktop and this card will not be able to handle that well at all.  Reinstall Ubuntu Server

with Lubuntu Desktop.  Lubuntu uses the LXDE desktop which is a 2d desktop.   

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

CounterParry wrote:

The HP Proliant DL380 G7 has a Intergrated ATI ES1000 graphics with only 64mb of video memory.  
The ubuntu desktop is a 3d desktop and this card will not be able to handle that well at all.  Reinstall Ubuntu Server
with Lubuntu Desktop.  Lubuntu uses the LXDE desktop which is a 2d desktop.   

The ProLiant DL380 G7 server has a Matrox G200 video controller embedded in iLO3 and uses the mga driver

CounterParry
Occasional Visitor

I got my info from here.  https://www.hpe.com/h20195/V2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04199811

it says on page 8:

Graphics Integrated ATI ES1000, 64MB video standard 16 bit color: maximum resolution of 1600 x 1200 32 bit color: maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 NOTE: Maximum resolution available via iLO 3 remote console for ProLiant is 1280 x 1024 (for 32 bit color) and 1600 x 1200 (DVR max resolution).