1753365 Members
5938 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hard drive not found

Antony Wright
Frequent Advisor

hard drive not found

Hi folk - its been a long time since I messed around with my old ML370 but I am doing a little experimenting to make my system more secure. I want to convert the ML370 to a hardware firewall using linux smoothwall. I followed the usual proceedure for using the smartstart (v5.5) and all seemed well. Unfortunately when it came to asking me to insert the vendor cd it started ok but then came back telling me it couldnt find any harddrive. Can somone tell me if Ive missed anything out? Was I supposed to use any additional software after using smartstart and before using smoothwall? Or is smoothwall not compatable with the ML370?

Thanks
Antony
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I suppose yours is a ml370 G1? also because your are using SSCD 5.5

let me ask you which controller that servers has?

Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra2 SCSI Adapter ?

Integrated Smart Array Controller?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Antony Wright
Frequent Advisor

Hi Karlos
It is the G1 and as far as I remember (Im not at home at the moment) it is the intergrated smart array controller.

Thanks
Antony
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

the idea using smartstart is that CD inject necessary drivers to continue with the installation, let me confirm thi with a friend I mean if the smoothwall is supported?

let me ask you smartstart 5.5 recognizes smart array fine?

regards
Antony Wright
Frequent Advisor

Hi
Smartstart behaved as I would expect it to. I had no problems with it using it both on auto and manual. I do know that for setting up linux I needed to use it on manual but as I said there was no problem with it.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

did you try your smoothwall with no smarstart? same issue? manual installation?

regards
Antony Wright
Frequent Advisor

yes - and same problem. The only things I can think of is either install a different copy of linux first or smoothwall is not compatable.
Antony Wright
Frequent Advisor

I deollow my own advise and make sure the drivers are ok by installing another version of linux. At the moment it is busy installing debian netinstall without a problem. Once completed I shall see if I can overwrite it with smoothwall. At least I know there is no problem with the drives.
Antony Wright
Frequent Advisor

That should have read - I decided to follow....
Antony Wright
Frequent Advisor

despite debian netstart installing without problem - smoothwall still tells me it cant find my hard drive