1752586 Members
4318 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: harddrive storage update

Tim_361
Advisor

harddrive storage update

On a Proliant ML330 G3, 2 stock internal drives are set to RAID 1 mirroring. There are 3 partions on the drives. We want to increase drive space capacity... 1). better to image drives to two larger drives? 2). Add additional internal IDE stroage? 3). add some external storage? (suggestions). Just trying to determine the best way to expand drive sizes and keep existing Small Business Server 2003 setup.
7 REPLIES 7
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tim,

you should have an ambedded RAID ATA 100 conroller.
two channel.
if you have two HDs installed, you can connect 2 more HDs.
before any operation of resizing or modifying the array cnfiguration, make a back up of your data.
you can install 2 HDs configuring a new RAID 1.
let me know what you prefer to do in order to give you better help.

bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Tim_361
Advisor

Thanks for the info. The need is additional storage space - but if there's a way to increase performance that would be sweet. This week I've noticed some 500gig 7200 rpm drives on sale, is there a limit to size and speed one can add in? Can I add additional 2 drives, set them up as a RAID without touching the existing 2 drives... and then think about moving data - expanding existing partitions etc.?
If it helps, existing partitions are 1. System 2. Exchange 3. Data. Thanks in advance.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

yes.
it is possible to add two more HD.
also 2x500GB
and create a new one array.
performace may be increased only via HDs performance. the controller is quite old.

let me know if you have other question.
glad to answer.

points are welcome...

bye.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Tim_361
Advisor

Good points, thank you. so, if controller's a bit old, can it be replaced with something newer and with higher performance?
If so, suggestions?
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

thank you for "points" (not assigned yet) ...
yes: you can upgrade your system with a new controller so you can increase the performance.

do you have a PCI-X slot availeble on your system board?
if yes:
I suggest a SAS raid controller;
so you can use SATA and SAS HDs to increase system performance.

if you are really interested, let me know.
we will search the right solution for you.

bye.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Tim_361
Advisor

Yes, very interested in boosting performance, so if a newer controller will work reliably, yes. So if noticeable we'll go this route.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

How many points should I assign to replies?
Every response to your question is eligible to earn between 1-10 points. No need to worry about running out of points - when a truly awesome reply rolls in that deserves a 10, you will be able to assign it a 10! However, be careful to assign points based on the value that a reply truly provides. Use the following scale as a guideline:

o N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question

o 1-3: The answer didn't really help answer my question, but thanks for your assistance!

o 4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help!

o 8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

Although assigning points is not mandatory, it is a key component of a strong, interactive community, and it is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Others have taken time to help you, so please take a moment to give them credit for their assistance!

├В┬╗ Top of page

<> Leonardo da Vinci