ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752577 Members
5194 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: how do I use Smart Storage Administrator?

LenardvdM
Occasional Collector

how do I use Smart Storage Administrator?

Hey everyone,

I'm using up a ProLiant ML350 Gen10 server as virtual host to 2 other servers and normally I use the Array Configuration Utility which I acces remotely through the System Management Homepage. However, System Configuration Utility isn't supported by generation 10. So I went online and looked for a solution or workaround and I found out that people use the Smart Storage Administrator these days, so I downloaded and installed it, but now I'd like to actually use it, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to do that, for the SMH isn't supported anymore. The virtual host is running Hyper-V core installation, so I only have a command line to work with.

If you know the answer to this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,

Lenard

3 REPLIES 3
wrighty78
Occasional Visitor

Hi Lenard,

There is a command line version of the smart storage administrator here you should also be able to find the reference guide for creating/modifying arrays etc. So this could be installed on a core installation.

However, it is probably more beneficial (and practical) to use the ILO 5 and manage it out-of-band.  ILO 5 now allows the use of Intelligent Provisioning (presumably including the smart storage administrator) at any time.

This is just my suggestion having recently worked on some DL380 Gen10 servers and noticing this cool new feature..

Kind Regards,

Paul

LenardvdM
Occasional Collector

I'll go with the iLO solution, but then there's another problem. I can't see the disk information when I go to the iLO web interface, because 'iLO did not detect the Agentless Management System Service when this page was loaded. To view a full set of data on this page, ensure that AMS is installed and running. The SAS/SATA controller information will only be displayed when AMS is ready.' then there was a link to more information and there it said that AMS could be enabled by enabling SMA, which is some sort of package that some stuff, 1 of which is AMS. That package should be disabled by default, so it makes sense that the AMS service isn't running, but I don't know how to fix it. When I searched for this online, nothing useful came up, not even anything that is related to iLO.

So if you know how to fix this, please do tell me.

Thanks for the help so far,

Lenard

wrighty78
Occasional Visitor

Hi Lenard,

Was the O/S installed via Intelligent Provisioning? installing this way would usually install all of the associated extra HPE drivers and applications in the background.  If not, this can be added later by running the latest HPE SPP on the server, or HPE Smart Update. (HPE SPP can be run on any other machine and 'pointed' to your running host via the web interface.)

I would recommend if not already installed, the ILO channel interface driver