New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to check drive status from command line

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

how to check drive status from command line

Hi

I'm managing linux boxes via ssh on DL320G4 and DL360G4p. Just wondering if there is a way to check general health status (eg: memory status, mainboard status, fan status, etc etc) via command line and without accessing the System Management homepage.

Also I found hpacucli program to check HDD status and controller and seems to work on DL360G4p since it is able to see the SCSI controller. But in DL320G4 it just can't see the SATA controller.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

may u should write a scripting file and insert needed functions/components listed below.

-output of "hpasm status >hpasmstatus.txt" Shows currently active modules of HPASM
- opt/compaq/cpqhealth/cpqhealth/boot.log Shows boot logfile from cpq/hp health driver loading
- opt/compaq/hprsm/hprsm/boot.log Shows boot logfile from cpq/hp HPRSM driver loading
- hplog -v >iml.log outputs the IML to the file iml.log
- hplog -t -f -p >output.txt outputs the FAN, Temperature & Powersupply info to the file output.txt
- /opt/hp/hpdiags/hpdiags -v 5 >diags.txt output of Insight Diagnostics max. details to diags.txt

Cheers
Mike

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

The newest releases of hpasm package seem to contain a "hpasmcli" command, which is useful for temperature/power/fan status checks.

The hpasmcli command can also be used to change some BIOS settings while the system is running (things like boot device order, Wake-on-LAN etc).

MK
Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys. Both solutions are very handy to check the status health info. But it still doesn't give me any status for my SATA HDD. hpacucli tool only able to show status for SCSI controller which works well to see the status for my DL360 SCSI Hdd. Any similar hp tool to view SATA hdd status?

Thanks
Steve
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I don't have any servers with SATA disks (yet), so my answer will be more like a guess.

The SATA RAID controller driver might report the state of individual disks in a human-readable form in /proc pseudo-filesystem.

Look into /proc/driver and /proc/scsi directories: if there are any relevant-looking filenames, check the contents of the files. They are not real files: even though the directory listing may show them as zero-sized, they will actually show some content if you use "cat" or "less" to view them. The content is actually created dynamically from the driver's internal data at the moment the file is opened.
MK
Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

All the suggested above method seems to work well for me. Thanks.