ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748002 Members
4612 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to convert Proliant ML350 running Redhat/Linux to Windows XP workstation

chip hennens
Advisor

how to convert Proliant ML350 running Redhat/Linux to Windows XP workstation

Need advice on how to convert Proliant ML350 running Redhat/Linux to Windows XP workstation? Want to remove Redhat/Linux and install Windows XP OS.
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: how to convert Proliant ML350 running Redhat/Linux to Windows XP workstation

mmmm format I mean just install the new OS on that machine and just that...

by the way Windows XP it's not supported by HP

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
chip hennens
Advisor

Tried booting from the CD drive, with the Windows XP Pro disc in the CD drive, but XP begins with a hardware check and then a blank screen appears and nothing else happens. So, I wonder whether a BIOS change is necessary to get the puter to support the Windows OS.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

just in case remove any attached device to the server

and tell me the configuration?
controller card?
processors?

ml350 g1?

regards
chip hennens
Advisor

here r the basic specs:

Xeon 3.00 GHz/800MHz (2MB L2 cache)
Bios D19 (02/15/2006)
1024 MB RAM
Compaq Hard drive BD07289bb8 72MB

LSILOGIC LSI1030-IT
Integrated Lights Out 1.82 Aug 2005

it has Redhat Enterprise Linux 2.6.9 installed

The system was purchased about 1 yr ago and was spec'd by someone else as a client network server, but it didn't work out (ended up having to buy a different puter to meet their specific needs). It has sat idle since then, so we've decided to convert it to a usable workstation, a la the Dell 690.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

just a question what happen if you try with W2003 or W2000?

try cleaning the NVRAM

regards
chip hennens
Advisor

Don't have a copy of W2003 but could get one if necessary. How can I clean the NVRAM and what would the reason be for doing that? Tx.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

it's a ml350 g1 right?

-it helps to go back to default settings on the server, sometimes help with HW issues

see this files page 134 to see where is located System Maintenance Switch

page 129
it's the switch number 2, clear configuration

Procedure:
Clean NVRAM

- Power off server, unppluged the power cable.
- Open the server.
- Look for Sistem Maintenance Switch
- Switch number 2, put it ON
- Power on the server.
- leave it for 2 minutes
- Power off the server and plugged the power cable
- Power on the server.

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

sorry I forgot the manual to check the pages

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00099095/c00099095.pdf

regards
chip hennens
Advisor

Hi, finally found some time to continue with getting XP-Pro installed on the ML350 server. It's a G4, by the way. Using the HP setup disk that came with the server I can install W2000 with no problems. But the setup doesn't offer an option for installing XP-Pro. When I try to install it from an XP-Pro disk, the setup routine goes thru the hardware check and then loads all the system install files, but when the actual XP-Pro software install process starts it comes to an abrupt halt and I get a PCI error on-screen. It I try to install XP-Home edition, the setup routine goes thru the hardware check and then loads all the system install files, but when the actual XP-Home software install process starts it comes to an abrupt halt and I receive the error message "Setup did not find any hard disks installed in your computer."

I tried clearing NVRAM using the software function for that purpose but it didn't fix anything. Godda believe HP has a software install routine for installing the XP OS, a la the software setup disk for installing the various server OS's. Tx, again, for the help.