1753913 Members
8790 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: how to get OS console from iLO

dominicus

how to get OS console from iLO

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum and I hope this is the correct section to post. I'll try to show you the scenario as clear as possible. If not, please ask me for more details. So let's start...

purpose:

- I've to discover many HP servers with different OS, such as "Windows", "Linux", "Solaris", "HP", etc...

why:

- to collect information (such as: IP/MAC addresses, running processes, installed packages, etc...) for a future backup and moving

what I know:

- I don't have any information about these servers

main idea:

- the only thing I think I can do is to phisically connect to each server using the serial port using a cable and a putty terminal.

note:

- servers vary from HP Integrity (e.g.: rx2660, ...) to HP proliant (e.g.: DL360 G3, DL380 G7, ...). Also there are some previous versions, such as HP9000, etc...

considerations: 

- sometime I am able to get a console, usually it is the iLO/MP console. In the case of MP, using the command "CO" I can also get the system console.

- with the iLO console instead, I'm not able to access the OS console. 

- some other times I don't have the access to the iLO/MP console. Neither using key combinations such as "Esc+(" or "CTRL+b". I found this behaviour on some proliant servers. 

question: 

1. how can I get the access to the OS console from the iLO? 

2. are there other key combinations that I can try to access the console? 

3. usually I read the "DNS name" in the server's label, what is it used for? 

4. If a server is used as a resource for another server, how can I know they are related? 

I have many other doubts, but I think I can solve these once I get an answer to the above issues. 

Maybe I did not get the logics behind the proliant servers, please, if you know the answer, let me know. I don't know how to proceed.

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: how to get OS console from iLO

1.) It depends on the remote console version and operating system.

• On HP Integrity and HP9000 hardware, the console is normally character-based and the CO command works, as you've discovered.
  • On HP Proliant hardware, the Operating System used, the iLO version (iLO, iLO2, iLO3 or iLO4) and the presence or absence of the iLO Advanced license may all affect the availability of the remote console. If the physical console is in GUI mode, you cannot access it with a terminal-based connection: you'll need to use a web browser to login to the iLO instead, and use either Java- or ActiveX-based console applet to access a remote GUI console. Alternatively, Linux and other Unix-like operating systems can be configured to provide a terminal-style console on a virtual serial port: if this is configured on the OS side, it can be accessed using the VSP (virtual serial port) command. If the physical console is in text mode, the REMCONS command may provide console access (some iLO versions require the iLO Advanced license for that). With Windows operating system, the only options are a web browser based GUI console and possibly a limited character-based EMS console: of these, I think the EMS console requires OS side configuration before it is useable.

2.) You did not specify how you're connecting iLO.

Most iLO versions can be accessed at least two ways: with a web browser, or with a telnet client. All but the oldest versions will also have SSH available, either with an optional iLO Advanced license, or as a standard feature.

You already know how to use iLO/MP consoles; the Proliant iLOs have different menu structure, and different commands if you use a telnet/SSH connection. The commands you need with Proliant iLO versions are "REMCONS" and/or "VSP".

3.) If the iLO is in factory default configuration, it will attempt to use DHCP. If the network segment is configured with a dynamic DNS server, iLO will automatically attempt to register itself to the dynamic DNS server using the default "DNS name" in the server's label.
The default DNS name is based on the server's serial number, so it should be unique. If the cables have been connected correctly, you can use the DNS name in the label to establish remote access to a iLO-equipped server immediately after the hardware has been installed, so all the configuration can be done remotely if you wish.

4.) You will need to identify the resources the server is sharing to other servers, and/or look at incoming connections (typically the "netstat" command at the OS level might be helpful).

For example, you may find that server A runs a database engine, and the netstat command shows incoming connections from server B to the port of the database engine. Later, when examining server B, you may find within the application configuration a reference to a particular database on server A. Now you'll know that server A is a database server that is used as a resource by server B.

MK