4864 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to make SCSI hot-swap drive spin on power-up

Tiago de Aviz
Advisor

how to make SCSI hot-swap drive spin on power-up

Hello all!

i have two 9.1GB SCSI hot-swap drives that i'm testing, and i'd like to knwo if they're dead or not.

i have a bunch of jumpers on the front of the drive, which could i set to make it spin as soon as the machine is powered?

START CMD, SP SYNC, LED, WRITE PROT, DEL START, OPT BLOCK, DIS TI SY, DIS PAR, DIS UN A, DIS F/W NEG

thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

why not configure them as raid 1 set and format them. Then you know for sure, whether they are alive. Please post make and model of the disks.

Michael
Tiago de Aviz
Advisor

hey Michael,

the disks are Compaq's, 9.1GB

on the surface, it's written: DGHS COMP ICE-950. It's an IBM disk. I really never EVER saw an IBM disk go faulty.

i can't configure them as RAID 1 because i suspect my drive cage is faulty too. it says ID 8 thru 15 are FAILED, and the cage has only 3 disk slots.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what kind of controller have you got? Has the drive cage ever worked?

Michael
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hello Tiago,

have a look at the URL below to see if you can find the right UltraStar disk that matches your disk, seems like pins 11-12 need to be jumpered on some of those models for enabling AutoStart. (START CMD ?)

http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Ultrastar_18XP

HTH

Kris
Tiago de Aviz
Advisor

Hello!

well, the controller is built-in from the proliant 1200. single channel. I never saw this cage work in my life, as i got this server from an auction.
Tiago de Aviz
Advisor

start CMD waqs already jumpered, so i jumpered DIS UN A, in order for it to go up on itself and the drive smoked!!!

i wanna cry!
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

my condolences for the smoked disk drive. ID 8 through 15 failed tells me, that maybe the controller is not Ultra SCSI and supports only 8 devices or the drive cage does not.
I found specification for this disk:
IBM 9.1GB LVD UW 68pin 7200 rpm SCSI Drive DGHS Comp IEC-950
Is that the one?
I am afraid, you connected it to the wrong controller. This is a low voltage differential scsi disk.

Michael

Tiago de Aviz
Advisor

Let├В┬┤s think michael:

the controller on the Proliant 1200 is : Integrated Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 Controller

so that eliminates the problem of the controller not being capable of handling LVD drives. I├В┬┤m suspecting that the drive that smoked was locked up or stuck in someway, and when i forced it to spin it smoked. It├В┬┤s a theory.

The drive cage is the same that came with the machine, so it shouldn├В┬┤t present these problems, I guess.

What did I do: i got the SCSI HOt-swap drive, removed it from the tray, got and adapter from 80-pin SCA to 68-pin, plugged the power and 68-pin on the connector on the Proliant 1200 and powered it up. Smoke.

I guess that drive was way DDD. What do you guy