1752790 Members
6293 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to rebuild raid1?

Andrew Xiang
Occasional Contributor

how to rebuild raid1?

I have a ML310 with raid 1, If I click rebuild, it does not let me select source and destination? How can it figure out which drive is the new one in the case of swapping out the bad drive?

Also, if I add 2 more drives on the secondard ATA card, what do I have to to do?
5 REPLIES 5
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If this is with the ATA raid controller, then you should be able to see which drive is the replacement by checking the raid type. Replacement drives in these servers always come up the first time as a raid 0. So right now it probably shows up as array 1, configured as a raid 0.

Select the drive in the raid 0, change the raid level to "spare pool". After you made that change you should be able to select the option to rebuild. You can also exit out of the rom based utility and go into Windows. If the "Spy" utility is installed in Windows it will automatically start the rebuild if the drive is added to the spare pool.

As far as adding 2 more drives, you shouldn't have any problem with that as long as you don't exceed 4 ATA drives. If you want to configure these drives as a mirror, then the process for doing this will be similar to what I've already described. You just wouldn't select spare pool as the type of array.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

What type of server - ML310G3 ? What type of storage controller - HP 8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID, HP 6-port SATA RAID Controller or Integrated 4 port SATA controller with integrated SATA RAID 0/1 ?
BR, Oleg.
Andrew Xiang
Occasional Contributor

I plan to add 2 more drives in raid 1 configuration. One disk is 80gig, another is 100gig, different brand also, is that okay?
I know I will only get 80 gig out it and it is okay. but it should work, right?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Should be fine, but the 100 GB drive will be treated as an 80 GB drive when configured into the array.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Andrew Xiang
Occasional Contributor

it is the original ML310, with ATA100 raid.